Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Pro 8600 Plus
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When making a copy from either the document feeder or the glass, the printer does not see the added lower paper tray for the letter size paper. It sees only the main paper tray which is part of the printer and has envelopes loaded in it and says there is a paper size error.

When this printer was purchased the lower added paper tray functioned as it was suppose to, as the default paper tray for letter size paper. And all was good. HP recommended that the envelopes be loaded in the upper (main) paper tray.

The printer was moved from one location to another and upon setup, the copying function will only select the one tray (the attached tray to the printer) that has envelopes in it. I have checked all the settings for proper paper selection but it will not work when making copies.

The printer works fine when printing from the computer for either envelopes or letters, it selects the correct tray.

I am at a loss for what to do, any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@MarkH6, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Tray 2 cannot be used to load envelopes, hence you will have to use plain papers in tray 2.

By default, the printer draws media from Tray 1. If Tray 1 is empty, the printer draws media from Tray 2 (if it is installed and loaded with media). You can change this default behavior by using the following features:

• Tray Lock: Use this feature to protect special media such as letterhead or preprinted media from accidental use. If the printer runs out of media while printing a document, it will not use media from a locked tray to complete the print job.

• Default Tray: Use this feature to determine the first tray from which the printer draws media.

NOTE: To use the tray lock and default tray settings, you must select the automatic tray selection option in the printer software. Also, if the printer is on a network and you set a default tray, the setting will affect all users of the printer.

To configure the trays

1. Make sure the printer is turned on.

2. Touch (right arrow), touch Setup, touch Preferences, and then select Default Tray or Tray Lock.

3. Click OK or Apply after changing the desired tray settings.

To know how to load media in both the trays, kindly refer to - Loading Paper, Envelopes

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply but

The outlined procedure for setting the default tray did not work.

The menu screen shows that Tray 2 is the default Tray.

I do know that Tray 1 must be used for envelopes and Tray 2 for regular media. That is the media setup I have for the Trays. As I described in my original post, the printer worked great with the tray setup (envelopes in Tray 1, std letter size paper in Tray 2) with Tray 2 as the default Tray until I relocated my office and moved the printer too.

The printer will not print with media from tray 2 when making copies from the glass or document feeder, even if tray 1 is empty. The printer will print from tray 2 when sending a document for printing from the computer. Also there is no problem when printing an envelope from Word or other programs, both Trays are accessible via the computer programs.

I guess I wonder if there is a connection pin or something that may have been damaged during the move so that the printer does not see Tray 2 when using it as a copy machine? That doesn't make sense since the printer can use Tray 2 when printing from the computer though.

Any additional insight would be appreciated

Thanks,

HP Recommended

@MarkH6

Update the printer firmware

Here are the steps:- Click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the response.

The firmware and operating software for my printer are/ were up to date.

But upon looking through the settings on my computer, it appears that windows 10 software integration of the HP controlling software takes priority over what the printer itself has set. 

It is odd that the printer's display menu on the printer itself shows the default tray as set to tray 2 but the on the computer HP Smart software the setting seem to override what ever the printer shows.

So all seems to be fixed as of now.

Thanks again for at least stearing me to delve deeper

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.