Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Smart Tank Plus 551
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is there a way to make "General Every Day Printing" the default setting rather than the factory default setting that is automatic?  The factory setting is teeny, tiny, almost unreadable.  I do not like having to remember to change to everyday printing and also to make sure it is printing at 100%.  There does not seem to be a way to see a print preview.  I am wasting much paper and ink.  Thank you in advance.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@purrfectquilts, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Use one of the following methods to save preferred print settings, either as a custom shortcut or as the default settings for all print jobs.

Create a custom shortcut

If your print driver has a Printing Shortcut tab, save commonly used settings in a custom shortcut.

1. In the print settings window, click the Printing Shortcut tab, then click one of the shortcut names in the list.

2. Change any settings using the menus in the right side of the window.

A User Specified Print Settings shortcut displays at the bottom of the shortcuts list.

Figure : User Specified Print Settings shortcut in Printing Shortcuts window

User Specified Print Settings shortcut in Printing Shortcuts window
  3. Click the shortcut to highlight it, then click Save As to rename it.

Set defaults for all print jobs

Access the settings window in Devices and Printers to select settings that apply to all your print jobs.

1. Search Windows for 'printers', then click Devices and Printers in the search results.

2. Right-click the icon for your printer, then click Printer properties.

Figure : Right click your printer and select Printer properties

Right click your printer and select Printer properties
  3. Click the Advanced tab, then click Printing Defaults.

Figure : Click Printing Defaults on the Advanced tab in Printer Properties

Click Printing Defaults on the Advanced tab in Printer Properties
  4. Change any settings you want as defaults in the Printing Defaults window, then click OK.

Refer to the document HP Printers - Print Driver Settings Guide (Windows) for additional help.

Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.