Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
hp laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

my HP envy has stopped printing in color and only prints in grayscale.  I have been looking for a way to change the setting for hours.  THERE IS NO Setting for this.  I have been through every menu, setting page and it is not there.  I have tried updating the driver, removing the device and re-installing it, I have switched the default to something printer to something else and switched it back I have also tried adding a new port.  I have tried every solution I could find online and only one worked.  When I connect my printer via a hardwire to my laptop, I can print in color and the grayscale option shows up in the "print preferences".  The problem is I can't disconnect my laptop and walk it to my printer and connect the wire every time I want to print something, THAT IS WHY I BOUGHT A WIRELESS printer. HP help just keeps spitting out the same solutions.... re install, make the printer your default, change the grayscale setting and so on... Can someone please help me?  

When I connect via a hardwire to the printer the printer shows up as "HP ENVY 4510 series".  When I connect to the printer via wireless it shows up as "HP2CBA2E (HP ENVY 4510 series).   The grayscale option shows up in when I go into the printer preferences of the first one but is absent when I click on the printer preferences of the second. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

A great observation @Led_skin, this was my next question 😉

Please power off the printer and restart your computer, keep the printer powered off now.

Open the Control Panel and select Devices and Printers.

Right-click any HP print queue and select See What's printing, from the top Printer menu select Cancel all Documents and make sure the list is empty.

Repeat the same with any print queue.

Now power on the printer, right-click the HP2CBA2E (HP ENVY 4510 series)  printer and select Printer Properties, press the Print Test page button and check if it prints.

Please let me know how it goes,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try following below specific version of the HP Print and Scan Doctor Utility by selecting your printer:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/patches/HPPSdr.exe

Be sure to restart your PC and allow the utility to complete the process, then check for any difference.

Try printing and check for any change, if the same remains try printing using the newly added print queue copy (Copy1) and check for any difference.

Shlomi

HP Recommended

I ran the scan doctor.  Two printers showed up in it. The USB version and the IP address version.  I chose the IP address version since that is the one I am having issues with.  It stated it was not my default and I set it to the default printer.  It then ran some diagnostics and said I needed to reboot.  I rebooted and when it came back on the scan doctor finished running. I selected continue and there are now 3 printers showing.  The USB version, One that has the IP address and says SCAN only do not delete, and another version that says HP2CBA2E (HP ENVY 4510 series).

This time I chose the SCAN only do not delete version and it is asking me to choose a source.  I have no idea what to choose, both say HP Envy.  I chose the option that had the number 4510 in it.  It is now telling me if I want to scan that I need to go to HP customer care.

None of this is helping.  I am not really sure how to use this tool and what I am supposed to be doing with it.  I still have no color printing.  I don't know what "Try printing and check for any change, if the same remains try printing using the newly added print queue copy (Copy1) and check for any difference" means.  

I don't know what change to look for or what you mean by "newly added print queue copy (Copy 1).  I tried printing using the Scan only do not delete version and it prints in grayscale.  I also tried using the HP2CBA2E (HP ENVY 4510 series) version, but it gives me an error message.  

HP Recommended

For the HP2CBA2E (HP ENVY 4510 series) print queue, right-click it and select Printer Properties, then open the ports tab.

Please let me know which port is selected there, do not change it but only clarify it and close this dialog.

Also, what error occur when you try printing to this print queue?

HP Recommended

IP_FE80::FE3F:DBFF:FF2C:BA2E       Standard TCP/IP Port

I am not sure what the error is, it just states ERROR - Printing

HP Recommended

just an observation:  The the HP2CBA2E (HP ENVY 4510 series)  shows the grayscale/color option in the printer preferences.

HP Recommended

just an observation,  the HP2CBA2E (HP ENVY 4510 series) has the grayscale/color option in the printer preferences.

HP Recommended

A great observation @Led_skin, this was my next question 😉

Please power off the printer and restart your computer, keep the printer powered off now.

Open the Control Panel and select Devices and Printers.

Right-click any HP print queue and select See What's printing, from the top Printer menu select Cancel all Documents and make sure the list is empty.

Repeat the same with any print queue.

Now power on the printer, right-click the HP2CBA2E (HP ENVY 4510 series)  printer and select Printer Properties, press the Print Test page button and check if it prints.

Please let me know how it goes,

Shlomi

HP Recommended

The test page printed, and it show color on it!

HP Recommended

it seems to be working.  THANK YOU!  I am not sure what happened but I am glad it is working.  Is there anything I need to do so this won't happen again?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.