Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP 7740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've had my HP 7740 printer for about 4 months from new and now it's refusing to print due to a "supply system problem". Upon trying to get the printer running again and having varying ink low messages, all cartridges have now been replaced. However, the printer thinks the cartridges are low as below and there's an error with the yellow.

IMG_20211011_195937.jpg

Checking inside the printer and was surprised to see alot of ink splashed on various parts. Is this normal and why the print levels have now dropped?

IMG_20211011_195525.jpg

Any help would be appreciated as its a new printer that I currently can't use.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

On the right side of the carriage, when the printhead docks to the right, there you should expect to see ink spills as this is the waste area where the carriage is expected to spill remaining ink.

Please show the exact error message, which should likely indicate an empty ink cartridge, as you cannot print with your printer with any missing ink, and from the screenshot the Yellow ink cartridge is empty.

You cannot print with the printer with any missing ink cartridge, as listed by below document:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04331666

I can also see that the other cartridges are quite low so be aware that upon replacing a cartridge the printer preparation consume some ink, so you would likely need to have the other ink cartridges available for replacement soon:

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks.

The error message is as below, reporting an issue with the yellow. 

IMG_20211011_215842.jpg

After installing all new cartridges last week, the ink levels appeared to be fine.....

IMG_20211008_094536.jpg

Only when I came to print did I start having issues.

So not sure where the ink has gone as I haven't managed to print anything.

HP Recommended

The problem I have reported is still unresolved. 

I have managed to take some more photo's and still don't believe the amount of ink splashed around seems right. Please see image below.

IMG_20211012_195133.jpg

Also, here is the state of the print head which i have removed to visually check.

IMG_20211012_194806.jpg

I actually think the print head is leaking which would explain the excessive amount of ink inside the printer and the fact 4 new print cartidges are virtually empty!

HP Recommended

Printer has been left for a few days and after checking the print head this morning, i'm convinced there's a fault with it. 

IMG_20211014_074409.jpg

IMG_20211014_074336.jpg

HP Recommended

@checkers1173, Welcome to the HP Support Community! I’m here to help.

I understand you are not able to print. Make sure you have tried the steps mentioned in this document - An 'Ink System Failure' or 'System Supply Problem' Error Displays

Yes, it seems like the printhead has gone bad. In this case, as the printer is out of warranty, I suggest you upgrade the printer. You may visit Hp Store to check the available printers.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.