Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 3730
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a fresh out of the box Deskjet3730 connected via USB to a fresh out of the box Windows 10 laptop with all updates applied and no other printers connected.

The printer will not print from Windows. It will print the check and diagnostic pages, but nothing which is added to the Windows print queue, including the document which HP Print and Scanner Doctor produces.

I have re-loaded the drivers twice. Paper is set to plain.

The USB port is a USB3 port if that is important. I notice in Device Manager that the drivers are generic Microsoft ones and not HP ones, but re-install didn't change that. The laptop has no third party security software.

I am on the road connected to third party WiFi so I am unable to use a wireless connection because I then I would have no internet.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

It should support.  However, came across this post, not sure if it's applicable to you:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/Handling-Problems-With-USB-3-0/td-p/2001211

Hope that helps!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

Are you able to use any other port that is USB 2.0?

Let us know if that works. 

HP Recommended

Yes, via a hub.

But that does not resolve the issue. Symptoms the same.

David

HP Recommended

Hi David,

Can you try to connect directly to the computer without going though the hub?

Does your computer have any USB 2.0 ports?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I'm afraid not. Both ports on my laptop are USB3.

Is the printer not compatible with USB3?

HP Recommended

Hi,

It should support.  However, came across this post, not sure if it's applicable to you:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/Handling-Problems-With-USB-3-0/td-p/2001211

Hope that helps!

HP Recommended

Hi Dean

Thank you for the pointer.

Although it was not applicable to my system, I downloaded and re-applied the Intel chipset drivers for my laptop (Dell XPS13), re-booted and now it is working.

I tried connecting the printer and my laptop to the WiFi hotspot on my phone and that worked also.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. Appreciated.

David

HP Recommended

Hi @DavidC61,

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved and all is working well now.

Have a nice day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.