Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP8020
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My new HP8020 will not print on non-standard size paper or cards.  Settings in both the printer itself and the software (WORD) are set to 5 x 7 for announcements.  Printer functions fine when set to 8.5 x 11 and the desired document will print on standard paper.  When set to  5 x 7, printer stops and issues error message that the paper size detected is not what is set in the printer.  The message claims that the paper size is set to 8.5 x 11 even though it is NOT. 

I have updated to the latest firmware for this printer, and it did nothing to solve the problem.

Basically, if loaded with anything but standard size paper, the printer reports that the paper is the wrong size and that it is presently set to standard size (it is not).

Any suggestions? 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@traxtech813, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

According to the printer specifications, this model printer supports printing on a 5x7 paper.

Refer to this document to know how to correctly load the papers - Loading Paper, Envelopes.

Once you load the paper and close the tray, you will get a prompt on the printer screen to change the paper type and paper size. Select the right option.

To know how to change the print settings on your PC, refer to Print Driver Settings Guide

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Did ALL of this.   The printer settings are correct,  but the printer stops after taking the 5 x 7 out of the tray and displays the incorrect paper size message.  As I said in my post, software and printer settings are for 5 x 7, but printer stops are displays the message anyway.  Firmware is the latest.

I worked for HP as a site services tech for several years, so I am not stupid, nor would I post a question before checking all of the normal solutions.  

The printer accepts paper size settings after load, but does not function accordingly.  Simple as that.

Please do not insult my intelligence again.  Do you need a video to believe what I am claiming?

HP Recommended

@traxtech813

I'm not questioning your intelligence here. Those are the important and necessary troubleshooting steps to be followed to resolve this issue. If you have already tried those, please reach out to the HP Support in your region for some additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction or a remote session with our HP Support team. If need be, you will be provided with replacement/service options.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.