Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I could not find information by searching the net, so please enlighten me:

can someone explain how current HP MFP laserjets have improved besides faster printout speed compared to models 2 to 10 years ago? I noted now they support 1000mb Ethernet. But in particular I want to know how the feeder has improved so it process a pile of paper better. Why does current model like m428fdn support scanning and printing on both sides of paper but can’t fax a document that has content on both sides of paper?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Lower power consumption, lower noise, smaller in size and weight, faster print/scan of copy speed, more features that came with the mobile revolution. New scanning technology CIS vs old CCD improved higher speeds, new toner powder specification needs a lower temperature to melt and lower temperature means lower power consumption and faster first-page print.

And for the automatic two-sided faxing it's impossible to please all customers. The faxing is becoming more obsolete function, nowadays you can scan to cloud or scan to email someone to receive document across the globe within a few seconds.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

A lot of the improvements are related to security of the device and convenience. If you compare an M428 to an older M2727 it replaced, you now have a touch screen, you can email directly from the device, the ADF performs duplex scanning in a single pass instead of having to refeed the document and the biggest thing is increased compliance with newer security protocols.

Yes, some features get changed or deleted, I have not worked with an M428 enough to comment on the fax issue you are stating, but plan to the next time I have one on my bench.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. But does anyone know what’s the difference between 428 and 426? I know 426 has stopped manufacturing but still I feel curious to know what has changed. They look the same on the surface...

compared to the 1212 model that I bought 10 years ago, is the latest model less prone to feeder paper jam and why? If the current print speed is double the old model, what design has improved to avoid paper jam? I’m a HP fan and has owned HP printer since 30 years ago. Now there are reports saying a different brand is better with lower cost of printing, but I want to tell my friends why HP is better... some noted perhaps the software applications and drivers are better... so we should not completely trust product reviews entirely 

HP Recommended

I use the M426FDN at work and now bought a M428FDN for my home. I noted that the newer M428FDN has a different interface on its panel. But thats all i know.

The problem with M426FDN is that while the documents sent to feeder can be scanned both sides when saving to the computer using HP's scan software, but using scan to usb can only scan one side (i want the option of 2 sides). Why I want 2 side design is because the Windows PC I have at work has less than 700mb free space on its C drive. When a pile of 60 page documents is scanned, the HP Scan software created temp data on c drive like a big bubble slowly, then save the scanned document as .pdf that has only a size of something like 50mb. i have no option to change the temp drive to d or something else. if the c drive has not enough free space, the scan fails to save any file and time is wasted. i have to rescan with less pages.

Hello HP staff if you're reading this can you please provide an improved solution for the 2 issues mentioned here at least to my new M428FDN printer? Thank you!

HP Recommended

I bought a new M428FDN MFP printer and noted i cannot use the usb printer server feature provided from my TPLINK TL-WDR4900 wifi router. Its utility software fails to detect the printer. It may be a compatibility issue. I have asked TPLINK for help, but wonder if HP support can also help me please? The usb feature is supposed to let users print to the printer as if it is a local usb printer when connected to the same WIFI Router.

I can only use the ethernet cable to connect the HP printer to the wifi router to work, but i want to free up the ethernet slot to use usb instead so i can connect another computer to the router.

HP Recommended

I just bought the 428 and the only difference I noted is the touch panel has a user interface that is different from 426.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.