Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have a problem installing non-HP cartridges - how do I allow my printer to accept them?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Tim1947

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Which printer do you have? Meanwhile this will help you understand the issue better: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c05310148

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

hello Betty - this has not addressed my problem.  I am pasting here the original message I wanted to relay to someone at HP, it is impossible to find a generic customer support email so please could you help, I'm unable to attach a document so in my note here I refer to pictures of my cartridges and an article in Which? magazine:

I own an HP Office jet Pro 7740 and when we moved into lockdown, I asked my support team to make sure I had enough ink and as you can see from the attached photograph, they provided for me three sets of cyan, yellow and magenta cartridges and six sets of black cartridges.  I had used these in the past quite satisfactorily.  I discovered a couple of months ago that the printer would not accept them so I immediately got on to my support team and they Googled things and discovered that HP were preventing the use of non HP ink and so they organised the purchase of HP printer ink.  However, this weekend I happened to read a Which? Magazine article which gives a bit of background to this and on the 4th page of the article there is a two columned comment – “Why is HP blocking third party inks?” and reporting a law suit in the US had ended up with your ceasing to adopt this practice, which, in Which’s view, is not a good practice. 

Having read this, I would like to ask you whether it will be possible for you to provide me with the software that would remove dynamic security and enable me to use the ink that I bought in good faith to use on your printer.  Please can you advise whether you are prepared to do this.

HP Recommended

This will help you: https://support.hp.com/ro-en/product/HP-Officejet-Pro-6830-e-All-in-One-printerserie/5390307/documen...

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.