Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet 5740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I try to print a MS Word document to 5" wide x 12" sheet of labels I get the following error message:

"The paper size detected by the printer sensor does not match the selected paper size."

I have tried setting the paper size in the Word document and by using the HP Printer Assistant but without success.

Is it possible this model only supports A4 printing (in which case what is the Photo Tray for?).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@arthurjp

Printer:

HP Officejet 5740 e-All-in-One Printer

Full Feature Software:

File name:

Full_Webpack-40.2.1073-OJ5740_Full_Webpack.exe

(143.7 MB)

From the printer's How-to Section:

Creating Custom Paper Sizes

Create a custom size template; use the main tray for your "special size" paper.

Help, suggestions, and examples:

Printing Preferences

Section:

• Custom Paper Sizes

When you see a Post that helps, inspires, provides fresh insight,

or teaches you something new, click the Thumbs Up on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@arthurjp

Printer:

HP Officejet 5740 e-All-in-One Printer

Full Feature Software:

File name:

Full_Webpack-40.2.1073-OJ5740_Full_Webpack.exe

(143.7 MB)

From the printer's How-to Section:

Creating Custom Paper Sizes

Create a custom size template; use the main tray for your "special size" paper.

Help, suggestions, and examples:

Printing Preferences

Section:

• Custom Paper Sizes

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Excellent result - worked perfectly. Many thanks

HP Recommended

@arthurjp

Good news!

You are welcome.

Happy Printing!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Content of note sent in to HP Forum.          21.07.2018

Re: How to print on non-standard paper.

Up until recently I could use a paper size for my template layout/design of MY choosing. My ‘template’  that I was using was on an A.4 sheet, centered vertically, to print onto a cheque using whatever text and figures I needed and which worked perfectly.

However, since HP ‘interfered’ with my Printer recently, (which has caused problems for me) , I turned to the Forum to check if there was anything from other members regarding printing problems. Although I have found your response to this question I find it impossible to follow.

Unfortunately, it now it appears that the Printer requires a paper size to be chosen from a list of sizes available – however, that list does NOT contain my non-standard size and when trying to use the ‘custom’ facility I have the same problem it will not let me put in the actual size that is needed for my print and only gives me a list of sizes available (NONE of which are suitable) with no option to insert my own size !!!.

I am a ‘silver surfer’ (now over 75 yrs.old) and have used computers for many years but am now stuck and do not seem to be able to solve it.

I would very much appreciate any information / thoughts about this by other Forum members.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.