Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281cdw
macOS 10.15 Catalina

77A6B490-08F2-4886-8D3D-9702065E1E3A.jpeg

I replaced the toner cartridges (genuine HP) because apparently there was some sneaky firmware update from HP that disabled non HP cartridges. Since then every time I try to print anything including the demo page I get a “79 service error - Turn off and then On”

Needless to say I have tried turning off and on and that didn’t help. Also looked for any new firmware update from the Services menu and none was available. 

My printer along with the brand new genuine HP cartridges seems to be toast. Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Yes that worked. Turned off wireless, and then turned off IPv6 and restarted the printer. It worked like a charm.

Thank you so much!

And HP for god's sake.. this is so lame.. better QA pls.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.