Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Intel Nuk
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Officejet Pro 7740 printer.  I am trying to get the printer to automatically print on legal size paper and it will not.  I have checked all the settings, incl. the print set up on both the printer and computer printer software.  I have even tried to print to legal manually.  That is, I bring up the document, set the type of paper I want the printer to print (in this case legal) and when asked to print I always get and 8.5 x 11 no matter what I do.  What is happening and how can I get this corrected?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Dakota12 

Ideas...

Open

User Guide

Starting on Page 14

Read both the sections on tray management and on how to load the paper.

Use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) to configure / view the Tray and Paper Management

Be sure to check the 'Advanced' section, too.

EWS_9025_Preferences_Tray_and_Paper_Management_1EWS_9025_Preferences_Tray_and_Paper_Management_1

Set your Printing Preferences to use a shortcut that is either pre-configured to what you need or select a shortcut and make the necessary changes for Media type (kind of paper), Paper Size, Source (automatic might work depending on what you is going on), and Duplex (if supported for Media and Paper size.

General example

Set the Preferences - Windows

1. Check / enable the printer as the “Default Printer”

Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners

UNCHECK (clear box) Let Windows manage my default printer

Select (Left-Click) your printer from the list of printers > Manage > Set as Default

1. Select and adjust settings in each category for the Media (kind of paper), source (tray), and paper size.

Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners

Left-Click on (your) Printer > Manage > Printing Preferences

Next

Tab Printing Shortcuts > Click / Highlight your preferred shortcut > Click Apply > Click OK to exit

NOTE - Make changes to a Shortcut

• Select a shortcut and adjust the settings for paper, source (tray), other settings
  • If there is a More > section, check / adjust settings in the sub-sections > Click OK to save sub-menu changes
  • If supported, save the edited shortcut or use “Save As” or “Create Custom Shortcut” to save under a new name
  • Click OK to save the setup

9025_Printing_Preferences_Printing_Shortcuts_19025_Printing_Preferences_Printing_Shortcuts_1

If you are printing PDF using Adobe Reader DC,

Open the file in Adobe Reader DC

Click the print icon

Set the main menu print options

Select Properties > select the options like you would do in Preferences

Click to exit the Properties menu

When ready in the main menu, Click to Print

Example

Manage Print Output with Print Preview_PDF_1EManage Print Output with Print Preview_PDF_1E

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide Format All-in-One Printer series 

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.