Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Hp officejet pro 8710

I recently got the hp officejet pro 8710 and after setting it up it worked fine. A few days later I tried to print and got the error "printhead appears to be missing, not detected or incorrectly installed" with the error code 0xc19a0040. I tried resetting the printer through the steps I found for other printers on the forum (unplug the power, remove the ink cartridges and leave it for at least 60 seconds, then reconnect the printer to the power) but this didn't work. I did unplug the printer for a week and when u switched it on it seemed fine and I managed to print a few pages, until the error popped up again during printing. How can I fix this issue please?

I should add the error occurs when printing from both mobile devices and laptops. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@jsc888 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the Hp officejet pro 8710 printhead appears to be missing.

Please follow the below steps and check.

Step 1: Update the printer firmware

Updating the printer firmware might resolve printhead problems. Go to Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware for more information.

Step 2: Check the carriage for a printhead latch

Look at the carriage to see if it has a latch. The carriage is the part inside the printer that holds the printhead and cartridges. If the carriage does not have a latch (fixed printhead), then the only option is to service the printer.

1. Open the door to access the cartridges.

2. Wait until the carriage stops moving before you continue.

3. Look at the right side of the carriage to see if the carriage has a printhead latch (a handle that can be raised, which allows the printhead to be removed).

• If your carriage has a printhead latch, continue to the next step.

• If your carriage does not have a printhead latch (fixed printhead), skip to Service the printer. If the printhead is fixed, then there are no additional troubleshooting steps available.

Example of a carriage with a printhead latch

Example of a carriage without a printhead latch

Animations of carriage with a printhead latch

Carriage without a printhead latch

Step 3: Reseat the printhead up to three times

You might need to reseat the printhead up to three times.

1. With the printer turned on, unplug the power cord from the rear of the printer.

2. Lift the carriage latch, slightly lift the printhead, lower the printhead back into the carriage, wiggle the printhead left and right, and then lower the carriage latch to lock the printhead into place.

Animation showing how to reseat the printhead in the carriage

3. Close the cartridge access door.

4. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

5. Wait for the printer to start, and then look for the error.

• If the error message persists, repeat the steps to reseat the printhead up to three times.

• If the error no longer displays, you are done.

Step 4: Replace the printhead

Replace the printhead.

If you have a defective cartridge or printhead, it might be under warranty. To check the warranty on your ink or toner supplies, go to Printer and Page Yield Overview, and then review the limited warranty information for your supplies.

If your printhead assembly is no longer under warranty, you might be able to purchase a new one online.

Search HP Parts Store.

Follow the instructions to order the printhead assembly.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.