cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
izzyfahzhool1
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

I bought this HP printer without checking the system requirements

HP Recommended
HP 8720 Printer
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

When I purchased this HP 8720, I shot myself in the foot. First, I looked at the HP 8710, whose system requirements met my Mac OS [10.7]. I saw  some refinements in the 8720 and decided to buy that one, without checking the system requirements [minimum Mac OS, 10.8] Try as I might, I could not get the printer to work with OS 10.7.5. The printer even asked me to replace the depleted Y cartridge and it never printed in color. By the way, I did replace the Y cartridge and it didn't help. So, now, I have a new Mac Mini, running OS 10.15.4. I downloaded the HP drivers and when I go to use the 8720, it tells me to replace the depleted C and M cartridges [!!] Again, the printer has never ever printed in color, so all three color cartridges must be full. Might this printer be looking at the age of the cartridges and giving me that message? I am unwilling to spend more money on expensive color cartridges. Is there any way to defeat or override the LCD screen message to replace the C and M cartridges? Please advise.

2 REPLIES 2
asmita6658
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
14,452 14,397 1,437 1,745
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @izzyfahzhool1

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the printing issue. 

To better assist you - Does the copy works? 

Check the ink levels - On the printer control panel, swipe down from the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, and then touch the Ink Level Indicator icon .

Animation showing how to check ink levels from the printer control panel

Replace any critically low or empty ink cartridges, and then try to print again. If the ink levels are fine, print a Print Quality Diagnostic page

1. Load plain white paper in the input tray.

2. On the printer control panel, swipe down to open the Dashboard, touch the Setup icon , swipe up on the display, touch Reports, and then touch Print Quality Report.

Animation of printing a print quality report from the printer control panel

Try these steps - Print Quality Issue

Also, try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
izzyfahzhool1
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Asmita, thank you for the suggestion. This 8720 printer has not printed a single page in color since I bought it, so I do not understand how ink cartridge ink levels could be low or depleted. But I'm not going to argue, so I ordered a new set of cartridges today. Again, I do appreciate your support.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation