Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I can not find the WPS pin  on my hp officejet pro 6978

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

You don't need it.  Just run the Wireless Setup Wizard from the front panel of the printer to connect to your router.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, it appears I do need it. Since I replaced my modem/ router, I can't get the printer connected via the software, wireless or ethernet. It can't find it by IP address or host name either. The printer itself displayed the IP address when I connected it to the router, and again, when I disconnected it from the router and ran the network setup for Wireless.

Windows add device identified it as wireless, but asked for the WPS pin. It's looking like I'm stuck with a doorstop..... again. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. My last wireless (HP45XX) became useless too. I was hoping the technology would have improved. But of course, the warranty ran out a month or so ago. So if I can't this resolved, I'll just dump tis one too and never get another HP. Pretty discouraged with them,.

"All social problems have a technical solution. That solution may or may not be socially acceptable."
HP Recommended

For future problems like this:

Disregard! I made a mistake at the beginning and followed the troubleshooters instructioons. Which, of course, nothing worked. I deleted the printer and drivers, donwloaded the latest software and drivers, reinstalled, etc, etc.. It still wouldn't recognize the printer. So I left this post and searched online.

Found a 3rd party site that recommended reinstalling from the original disk (which I went on the great hunt for in my office). It told me to connect  the USB cable, so I was back to the beginning (which I actually tried with the latest downloaded software). But this time, when I hooked up the USB cable, it spotted the printer and completed the install successfully. When I rebooted, it even found the wireless connection.

So I guess I'll close the ticket with this question... why did the newest drivers/software not install properly, but the old software from the disc performed like a champ?

Good to see there are  support forums though!  Thanks!

"All social problems have a technical solution. That solution may or may not be socially acceptable."
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.