Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet 4620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I replaced 3 of my 4 cartridges with brand-new HP XL cartridges and now printerdoes not work.  It was printing ok before replacement and no software has been downloaded.  HP Print & Scan Doctor keeps on wanting to install a new update, even though I have 5.0.4 version.  I tried to run the alignment check, but vert little could print, so page could not be scanned.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@freebird4 If you've gone through the suggested steps including the ones in the link I shared earlier, yet the copier doesn't work, this could mean that there's a hardware malfunction and I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options:

follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on "Continue as guest".

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, is yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@freebird4 Welcome to HP Forums!

I have a few steps to help you out:

Please check if the copier works fine as a stand-alone device, if it does, this could be a driver issue pertaining to the update that's being installed on the PC, you may want to reinstall the driver to fix the issue,

Although, if the copier isn't working as well, please remove, clean the printer cartridge contacts and then reconnect, to check if that works.

If the issue persists, try the below steps:

1. If the printer is off, press the Power button to turn on the printer.

2. Locate the two slots on the left and right sides of the printer.

Figure : Locate the slots on the sides of the printer

Image: Locate the slots on the sides of the printer
  3. Slide your fingers into the two slots, and then lift up to open the cartridge access door. The carriage moves into the access area.

Figure : Open the cartridge access door

Image: Open the cartridge access door
  4. Check the color icons on the cartridges and the carriage. Make sure that the color icon on each cartridge label matches the color icon on the carriage slot.

Figure : Match the colored icons

Image: Match the colored icons
  5. Run your finger along the top of the cartridges to check for any unseated cartridges in the carriage. Press down on any cartridge that is higher than the others to firmly snap the cartridge into its slot.

Figure : Snap the cartridge into its slot

Image: Snap the cartridge into its slot
  6. If the cartridge does not snap into place, remove the cartridge from the carriage. Gently bend the tab away from the cartridge, and then reinsert the cartridge into the carriage.

CAUTION: 

Be careful not to bend the tab out more than 1.27 cm (0.5 in). Moving the tab too far might damage the cartridge or cause the tab to break off.

Figure : An example of gently bending the tab away from the ink cartridge. 

1. Gently bend the tab away from the ink cartridge

2. Do not bend the tab more than 1.27 cm (0.5 in)

7. Close the cartridge access door.

Figure : Close the cartridge access door

Image: Close the cartridge access door

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE & SKIP TO SOLUTION THREE ONWARD

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Tried all steps, including replacement of the black cartridge, and nothing shows as a copy. Even though your suggestion state that a successful copy probably indicates a driver problem and my copies were unsuccessful, I have yet to try the printer drivers.

Incidentally, I am able to print the demo paper shown under "?"; the red, green and yellow colours appear. The black text in the Sixth Street Market appears to be fine, if small. It is puzzling that the black text in the "Floral Arrangements", "Fruit Baskets", and "A Better Tasting Way to Great Health" prints, yet the other black text is greyed out. The text beside the printer and the black ink droplet under 4 individual inks is displayed as grey.

I was thinking that there might be a kink in the cable from the printer to my computer, but when no copies were produced, then I assume the printer cable is ok.

Regards,

freebird4

HP Recommended

@freebird4 If you've gone through the suggested steps including the ones in the link I shared earlier, yet the copier doesn't work, this could mean that there's a hardware malfunction and I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options:

follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on "Continue as guest".

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, is yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.