Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8035

I put in a new cartridge and it still is telling me I have a "Defective Cartridge", but it's a new cartridge? I turned off my printer hoping it would reset it, but it didn't... Any suggestions?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Bunny1964

Welcome to the HP support community.

Make sure the cartridges are correctly installed

1. Turn the printer on.

2. Open the door to access to the cartridges.

3. Make sure the label on the cartridge matches the label on the carriage.

Correctly installed cartridges

4. Make sure all the cartridges are firmly in place. If a cartridge is sticking out farther than the others, press it down until it snaps into place.

5. If a cartridge does not stay in place, remove it from its slot, bend the tab away from the cartridge, and then reinsert the cartridge into its slot.

CAUTION: 

Do not bend the tab more than 1.27 cm (0.5 in). Moving the tab too far might cause the tab to break off.

Bending the tab

6. Close the cartridge access door.

Clean the electrical contacts

1. Open the door to access to the cartridges.

2. Wait until the carriage stops moving before you continue.

3. Push the tab on the cartridge indicated by the error message, and then pull the cartridge from its slot.

CAUTION: 

Clean the cartridges one at a time. Do not leave a cartridge outside of the printer for more than 30 minutes.

Removing a cartridge from the carriage

4. Wipe the copper-colored contact on the cartridge with a lint-free cloth.

Copper-colored cartridge contact

5. Place the cartridge to the side, with the contacts facing upwards.

6. Wipe the contacts inside the printhead with a lint-free cloth.

The printhead contacts

7. Insert the cartridge into its slot, and then press down on the cartridge until it snaps into place.

8. Repeat these steps for any other cartridges indicated in the error message.

9. Close the front door and cartridge access door.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.