Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I bought this printer a couple of months ago.  It came with a spare set of cartridges and has worked fine.

The blank toner cartridge needed replacing so I took the spare black out of its sealed yellow bag removed the tabs and plastic protector and dropped it into the tray.

I got the message 'Incompatible black cartridge'.  I have tried unplugging the printer, taking out all the cartridges waiting until initialisation finished and reloading them - nothing is changing this error message and I suddenly find I am without a printer.

It's been working fine up until now - can I get past this issue, is the toner cartridge faulty?  Do I need to return the printer under warrenty?

I wish HP had a proper customer service.

Thanks to anyone out there who can help

Geoff

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Geoff357

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are getting incompatible cartridge error after replacing the cartridge.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet. 
  2. Remove USB cable, if present. 
  3. Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge. 
  4. Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer. 
  5. Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

If the issue persists, continue troubleshooting from the below article.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-color-laserjet-pro-m282-m285-multifunction-printer-series/29...

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi - thanks for the reply.  I did try this.  In the end the problem turned out to be that Amazon had sent the wrong replacement cartridge.  Your cartridges can be exactly the same size, fit into the tray and even look superficially the same - but still don't work.  I am not sure why HP would do this other than to increase cost to the customer.  But anyway, once Amazon sent me the right one it all worked perfectly.

I will point out that your response time is pretty delayed.  That would be ok esp during these troubled times, if a clear message had come back saying that you would be contacting me by email and that you estimate it might take a week or more and that I should be patient - all of this would have helped.  Instead I was left feeling that I'd sent my complaint into a vortex and would never hear back.

I'll at least know next time what to expect!  Many thanks for getting back to me.  As I say I had already tried what you had suggested and if it had been the correct cartridge, this may have worked.  

Geoff

HP Recommended

@Geoff357

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that!

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.