Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 4650
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently started getting a message popping up everytime I print something. It says " Ink Cartridge Problem, Remove and reinstall the indicated ink cartridge making sure it is correctly installed, If this message continues to appear replace the indicated ink cartridge ".

I'm on the Instant Ink Program. I remove and reinstall the black cartridge, clear the message and I'll get 1 good print and then it pops up again. When I'm signed on to HP Connected everything looks OK. Ink levels look good. It says that the proper Instant Ink cartridges are installed. The actual prints that come out look good.

I've tried everything that people have mentioned as possible solutions in Discussion Boards but  to no avail. Is it possible that the black ink cartridge is faulty? But how do I get a new cartridge under the Instant Ink program if there is no indication that it needs to be replaced. I've taken the cartridges out and cleaned all the connections as told. I've used HP's Print and Scan Doctor program and nothing. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Did you call HP Instant Ink Support as I mentioned above?    Log into the HP Instant Ink site, the phone number (and/or chat option for some countries) will be listed in the lower right of the opening screen. 

Tell them you are getting a cartridge error and need a replacement cartridge.

Instant ink UK.png

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

It is possible you have a defective black cartridge. The document here has information on contacting HP to get replacement Instant Ink cartridges.  Log into the HP Instant Ink site, the phone number (or chat option for some countries) will be listed in the lower right of the opening screen.

Instant ink UK.png

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

This is absolutely no help at all.  Nothing in here explains how you get a new cartridge under the Instant Ink program if you think you have a defective cartridge. I've had these cartridges since March. Nothing in either HP Connected or HP Printer Assistant indicate that I don't have the correct cartridges installed or they are out of ink. This tells me that they are installed correctly and that these programs are seeing them. It only happens after a print. A print that has no flaws yet it immediately tells me that I have an "Ink Cartridge Problem" .

HP Recommended

They are not going to send me a new cartridge when they can see that there is still ink in them and that the correct cartridges are installed.

HP Recommended

Correct Ink Cartridges InstalledCorrect Ink Cartridges InstalledEstimated Ink LevelsEstimated Ink Levels

HP Recommended

Did you call HP Instant Ink Support as I mentioned above?    Log into the HP Instant Ink site, the phone number (and/or chat option for some countries) will be listed in the lower right of the opening screen. 

Tell them you are getting a cartridge error and need a replacement cartridge.

Instant ink UK.png

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.