Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Due to the Pandemic, I was away from my printer location for about 22 months.  When i returned I tried to print...

The printer turned on OK, and said it was ready; however, it displayed an error when it tried to print.

I suspect that the ink cartridges had dried-up due to inactivity.

I tried removing the cartridges so I could scan a document, but the printer displayed an error that operating it without cartridges could permanently damage the printer, so I put them back in.

With trial and error, I discovered I could power the printer off, then back on, and IF I was FAST enough, I could get it into scan mode before it detected the ink problem.

Will new cartridges fix this issue, or is there something else that may have been affected by trying to print with the old cartridges?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@JTG-HDL, Welcome to the HP Support Community! I’m here to help.

Yes, definitely the inks would have dried up as the printer was not used for 22 months.

You may clean the ink cartridges and the printhead as shown in this document - Color or Black Ink is Not Printing

Print a test page to check the result.

If the issue persists with test pages and copies, you will have to replace the ink cartridge. You may visit Hp Store to order compatible ink cartridges or buy them from a local store.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you!

Do you think the 22-month-old cartridges can be cleaned well enough to be used again, or should I just replace them?

Best,

JTG

HP Recommended

@JTG-HDL

In some cases, cleaning has helped. You may try cleaning and then buy new ones if this does not help.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.