Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Office Jet Pro 8600
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Ink system failure notification, what do I do?  it says that the printhead appears to be missing, not detected, or incorrectly installed.  I changed the ink cartridges yesterday and it has been working fine, but now it isn't.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@ineedhelp139

Welcome to the HP support community.

I understand that you are getting a printhead error, I am glad to assist you.

Reset the printer

Reset the printer to recover from printer errors or failures.

1. If your printer has a rechargeable battery, remove it.

2. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer.

3. Unplug the power cord from the power source.

4. Wait 60 seconds.

5. Reconnect the power cord to a wall outlet and to the printer.

NOTE: 

HP recommends plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

6. Turn on the printer to complete the reset.

Update the printer firmware

HP regularly releases new firmware versions with printer enhancements or issue fixes. Update firmware on a regular basis to make sure you are getting the most out of your printer.

• Update from the printer control panel: Many HP printers with touchscreens or menus can connect directly to HP to find and install updates. Make sure the printer is on a network with an active Internet connection. If the printer is connected with a USB cable, use one of the other options.

On the printer, locate the Product Update or Check for Updates menu by pressing the HP ePrint icon or button ( or ). Or open the Setup, Service, or Settings menu, select Preferences, Printer Maintenance, or Tools, and then select Web Services, Printer Update, or LaserJet Update.

• Download updates from HP Customer Support: With the printer turned on and connected to the computer or a network, go to HP Software and Driver Downloads to check for and install available updates listed under Firmware.

• Install updates through the HP Smart app: Open the HP Smart app, and then create an account or sign in. If you do not have HP Smart, download it from 123.hp.com or your app store. After adding the printer, click the printer image, click Printer Home Page (EWS) or Advanced Settings, click Tools or Web Services, and then click Printer Updates.

Reinstall the printhead upto three times

1. Make sure that the printer is turned on.

2. Open the ink cartridge access door.

3. Lift the latch handle on the print carriage.

4. Remove the printhead by lifting it up and then pulling it out of the printer.

5. Make sure the latch handle is raised, and then reinsert the printhead.

6. Carefully lower the latch handle.

7. Close the ink cartridge access door.

Here is the HP document for your reference:-Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.