Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 1513
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I am having an awful time trying to get my Deskjet 1513 to get out of idle status, like I've spent the last four hours on forums and YouTube and haven't had any luck.  I am on the newest version of Mac0S.  I haven't used the printer about a year or so but last time I used it everything was fine, it's connected via USB (does not have a wireless option) and I got a new MacBook so I plugged in the printer, connected it via USB and downloaded the drivers from the HP website.  It won't print anything and says it's in idle status,  won't even print a test page.  It scans fine but refuses to print, it sits there and says connecting to device, ready to print, printing, then stops at 'waiting for printer to become available', if you cancel it just says unable to connect to printer because it's unavailable or not connected .  There are no other jobs waiting, the printer is powered fine, it only has the black cartridge but I've only ever used it with a singular cartridge so I know that's not the issue.  The ink cartridge is about half full and I have cleaned it.  I followed all of the steps listed on the most recent forum topic about this, located here

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-Archive-Read-Only/cannot-connect-printer-to-mac-status-is-idl...

I have restarted my computer, the printer itself, I've allowed HP access in the privacy settings, I have repaired the disc permissions, I have un-installed and re-installed the drivers four times, I have removed the printer and re-added it countless times, completely reset the printer settings, the printer name is correct.  If I restart the printer it will change status to calibrating but after about four or five minutes it will go back to Idle setting both in the HP utility application and in the printers and scanner settings. I tried to load the printer up on my old Mac (which is difficult since it is about nine years old and doesn't have a battery) and the only difference I noticed is that when I go to the printers and scanner section it lists the options as Kind - Scanner and USB, as if they're two separate devices, but on my newer Mac it's just listed as USB Multifunction.  That's the only difference between the two.  I did get it to actually act as though it was printing on the older Mac but it just sent a blank page through, the newer Mac refuses to print at all.  It did change status to 'printing' when I ran the Clean Printheads option, both levels of cleaning they printed and has some black smudges on the pages but immediately went back to idle status afterward.  Could use some help because I'd really like to not have to buy another printer but I'm so frustrated with how bad the HP website is and how little help I've actually gotten I think it may be worth it to switch brands.  Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @AlyciaDavidson

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you. Let us try these steps:

Do you have any other device that we can use to print from apart from MAC?

Have you checked the print queue on the MAC?

Go to System preferences > Printer and scanners > Select your printer is listed and open the print queue

Check if the printer is paused. 

Image:  Print job window showing one job in process with a printer not responding message

Cancel any print jobs listed.

Check for any software updates on MAC

Click the Apple icon > About This Mac > Software Update and install any available update.

Try making a standalone copy and check if that works. By this, we can conclude if this is a hardware or a driver issue.

As you are using a USB cable, make sure the cable is directly connected between the MAC and the printer.

The use of a USB hub is not recommended. Also, make sure the cable is connected to a USB 2.0 port on your MAC.

Do you have an Anti-virus/firewall installed on the MAC?

• Check if the printer is getting recognized by your MAC:
  1. From the Apple menu, choose About This Mac.
  2. Click System Report.
  3. Under the Hardware heading on the left side of the System Information window, click USB.

USB 3 devices appear under USB 3.0 Bus, and USB 2 devices appear under USB 2.0 Bus.

Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.