Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Photosmart 7520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I returned from 3 months in another state to find that my photosmart did not want to print. I replaced all of the cartridges, but the large black cartridge still does not print. It is a full cartridge, but nothing registers when I click on Show Ink Levels on the printer.

I have also ordred a new printhead which i just received today. That took over two weeks to be delivered. I have installed the new printhead along with the new cartridges I had from before. Now all the printer will do is tell me there is a problem with printing and to align printheads. I try to do that, but always comes back and tells me to shut the printer down and retry. When I do that, it still just goes to telling me to align printheads, but can't do it, so shut the printer down again. A viscious circle.

I have tried to get support on the webpage, but the only option I see is the forum. My printer is not under warranty anymore, but I have spent more than the cost of a new printer trying to get this one to work. Please tell me what I can do. As I stated, I have all new cartridges for the machine, along with the new printhead which cost me close to $90 as well. Very expensive for still no fix.

Thanks

Jackie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello Krazy Toad,

I spoke with someone from HP customer service yesterday and he has offered me a very fair solution to my printer problem. I'm not able to fix the old one, but will be purchased a new one at a discount. 

I wanted to thank you so much for putting me in touch with customer service. I love HP!!!!

Jackie

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi! @JACKIEMAC1, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand after replacing the black ink cartridge you have issues printing in black from your printer.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Have you tried checking with a different ink cartridge?

Does the issue persist when you make a copy from your printer?

Have you installed full feature printer software?

Have you tried printing from a different application?

Are you using HP genuine ink cartridges to print?

I appriciate your efforts for trying out the steps before reaching out to us.

Replace any low or empty ink cartridges on your printer.

Update the printer firmware and check if it helps.

Update the printer firmware using this link: https://hp.care/2FLa0L7

1.Turn on the printer, if it is not already on.

2.Open the ink cartridge access door.

The carriage moves to the access area.

3.Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

4.Press the tab on the front of the ink cartridge inward to release it, and then pull up on the ink cartridge to remove it from the slot.
Never turn off the printer when ink cartridges are missing. Make sure you replace any missing ink cartridges as soon as possible to avoid print quality issues and possible extra ink usage or damage to the ink system.

Do not lift the latch to the side of the carriage to remove the ink cartridge. Doing so might result in incorrectly seated ink cartridges.

5.Repeat the previous step until you have removed all of the ink cartridges from the printer.

6. Remove an ink cartridge from its package, and then pull the orange pull-tab straight back.

   caution:

Make sure you remove the orange pull-tab and plastic wrap completely before you remove the orange cap in the next step. Otherwise, ink might leak from the ink cartridge. When you remove the plastic wrap, the paper label on the top of the ink cartridge tears slightly, which is necessary to properly vent the cartridge.

7.Twist the orange cap counter-clockwise until it snaps off the new ink cartridge.

8.With the nozzle and contacts facing down, slide the ink cartridge into its slot. Press down on the cartridge until it snaps into place. 

Do not lift the carriage latch handle to install the ink cartridges. Doing so can result in incorrectly seated ink cartridges and printing problems. The latch must remain down to install the ink cartridges correctly. Make sure the colored icon on the ink cartridge matches the colored icon on the slot.

9.If the ink cartridge does not snap into place, remove the ink cartridge from the carriage. Gently bend the tab away from the ink cartridge, and then reinsert the ink cartridge into the carriage. 

Be careful not to bend the tab out more than 1.27 cm (0.5 in). Moving the tab too far might damage the ink cartridge or cause the tab to break off.

10.Repeat the previous steps until you have inserted all of the new ink cartridges into the printer.

11.Close the ink cartridge access door.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot color or black ink not printing.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps it is a hardware issue with the ink cartridge or the printer.

Please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi MrRobot,

I'm not sure if you read through my whole post as I have done ALL of that AND MORE! I gone so far as to purchase a new printhead mechanism for close to $90 on top of purchasing all of the new ink cartridges.

Since installing the new printhead all I can do is Turn on the Printer, get the error "Printer Failure" "There is a problem with the printetr or ink system. Turn Printer off, then on. If problem persists, contact HP?

So that is what I am doing. It seems the new printhead has made the printer even worse. I

What to do.

Thanks

Jackie

HP Recommended

@JACKIEMAC1

It looks like you were interacting with MrRobot, but he is out for the day. I'm KrazyToad & I'm at your service. 

I have gone through your Post and I understand your concerns and frustration

I have escalated your concerns to HP’s Support Team to review your case.  You should be contacted within 4 business days (this does not include weekends or holidays).

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Krazy Toad,

I spoke with someone from HP customer service yesterday and he has offered me a very fair solution to my printer problem. I'm not able to fix the old one, but will be purchased a new one at a discount. 

I wanted to thank you so much for putting me in touch with customer service. I love HP!!!!

Jackie

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.