Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP LASERJET PRO MFP M277dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Very puzzling problem.  Our laser jet is printing "splattered" magenta in a 2"-4" swath along the top of the page.  I have checked/cleaned the toner cartridges, checked the toner trays, rollers, calibration, etc. Nothing seems to correct the problem.  The puzzling part is this: the splatter ONLY appears when the document being printed is a black/white document.  If the document has even just 2 words with a colored font there is no splattering.  In my test document I changed two words to have a red font, document came out perfect.  I have tried printing b/w documents from Word, Excel, and web pages...they all have the splatter.

Any help and/or insight will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

If the defect looks clearly like magenta then likely you are having some type of issue with the magenta cartridge that becomes obvious when the cartridges are alienated (deactivated from the print path for black only printing). Our first step would be to either disable the cartridge check and move the cartridges around or try another magenta cartridge.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

I am trying to avoid the prospect of purchasing a a new cartridge as all 4 of the cartridges are at 80% or better.  I am not familiar with what you said about "disabling the cartridge check", but next I will try switching the cartridges around.  I'll post the results after the test.  Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hello Again,

So I disabled the cartridge check and switched the magenta and cyan cartridges but the printer would not print any document.  It gave the error that cartridges were not in the correct positions.  Upon inspection of the cartridges I noticed all except the black had some amount of magenta dust on the roller.  Short of taking apart the cartridge to inspect the "toner reservoir" for defects I can't think of anything else to check or try in an attempt to repair.  As stated earlier, I'd prefer not to buy another cartridge.  Also, This may have something to do with the construction quality of the actual cartridge...they are not HP brand.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.