Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
MFP M281cdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Printer started giving Error 79 Turn Off then On error about 6 weeks ago, continuously rebooting itself.  I updated the firmware and it was fine for 4 weeks, then started again.  Updated firmware again (same version), no improvement.  Noticed that it only had a problem when connecting to the network, so I turned the wireless on the printer off and connected via ethernet cable to the router.  That worked fine for almost two weeks, then in the middle of a print job it crashed.  Disconnect the network cable, it's fine, reconnect the cable it crashes.  I cleared print queues on all computers, updated firmware again (same version), disconnected and reconnected power.  It only gets the error immediately after it connects to the network.  

Any recommendations?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Disconnect the network cable and go to the Network menu and turn off IPv6:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-Knowledge-Base/Error-79-on-HP-Color-LaserJet-Pro-M280-M281-Mu...

Restart the printer and then check for any difference while connecting the printer back, either wirelessly or with Ethernet.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

Disconnect the network cable and go to the Network menu and turn off IPv6:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-Knowledge-Base/Error-79-on-HP-Color-LaserJet-Pro-M280-M281-Mu...

Restart the printer and then check for any difference while connecting the printer back, either wirelessly or with Ethernet.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Like magic.  I've read a dozen forum threads and articles on this subject, first time I saw this solution.  Thank you!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.