cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Laserjet Pro MFP M479fdw wont go into sleep mode when connected to Mac

HP Recommended
Laserjet Pro MFP M479fdw
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Similar to earlier post, but it just won't sleep - it is connected to ethernet.  Wireless turned off no USB.  Checked all settings re power save / sleep etc.  Also did Cold Reset and this does not seem to have helped.

For some reason it occasionally says "Scan sent to computer" but when pressing Cancel it then spins.  

Given Cold Reset hasn't helped I am wondering if there is something else going on?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,046 5,990 648 1,531
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is your computer asleep or on all the time? It would appear that the computer is polling the printer on the ethernet and the printer is detecting that as activity and keeping itself awake. Will the printer go to sleep if it is disconnected from the network and just sitting stand alone?

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Many thanks for the message - really appreciated.   No it doesn't.  There seems no rhyme nor reason as to what is going on here.  I unplugged the ethernet and it still doesn't sleep so it doesn't look like a poll issue.

That said, it is popping up on the screen with "Sign in" and asking for User Access Code or Admininistrator access code.  I have no ideas on what is going on here - this was set up as a personal non enterprise printer for my home network !!   I think this SignIn might have something to do with the Awake mode.

Any ideas? many thanks

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation