Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8620
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

When doing a label mail merge on Avery labels, everything works in the mail merge set-up until I go to print. First couple of labels print on the label ok but then the rest all get moved down the page. End up with one address split over two labels, and so on throughout the merge. End up hand-writing all the labels. It's definitely a printer error, used to work fine with my previous HP printer.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@treehuggr99 

Could well be a printer error - this model is older, for one thing.

Product introduced 2014

Labels might be slipping due to age or wear-and-tear on the parts of the printer that draw in and guide the paper through to the other side.

Labels might be slipping due to need  of printer maintenance (dirty printer).

Fixing Print Quality Problems

What else?

Labels might be slipping due the surface on the labels - this goes back to what has been selected for Media type and whether the printer is actually handling the kind of label paper as expected.

Media TypesPlain paper, Thick plain paper, HP Bright White Paper, HP Premium Presentation Paper, Matte, Other Inkjet Papers, Card Stock, HP Premium Plus Photo Papers, HP Advanced Photo Papers, HP Everyday Photo Paper, Matte, HP Everyday Photo Paper, Glossy, Other photo papers, Other specialty papers, Other Greeting Cards, HP Brochure Paper 180g, Glossy, HP Brochure and Flyer Paper, Matte, HP Tri-fold Brochure Paper, Matte, HP Tri-fold Brochure Paper, Glossy, Other brochure papers, Plain hagaki, Inkjet hagaki, Photo hagaki

Most labels can be printed selecting Media as either "Card" or "Brochure" (matte or glossy).

Some labels, depending on the Paper Size are going to have a tougher time staying aligned.  For example, small sized sheets of glossy labels might have a more difficult time in a six year old printer.

Any sized sheets of glossy labels are more likely to slip than matte labels.  Printer age and condition plays into this, of course.

What else?

Regardless that I know how to print labels, I doubt very much I can tell you anything else new (or useful) about a printer that you have been using for so long.

For those reading - General example

Label Template saved from Word to PDF document - Print setup Adobe Reader DC /

Avery_J8161_Sample_Label_PDF_1Avery_J8161_Sample_Label_PDF_1

References / Resources

Adobe Reader DC – Needed Whether You Use It or Not

If you have not done so,

Reinstall / Update your PDF Reader (Adobe Reader DC /Optional  Foxit Reader)

HINT:  Watch out for and UNCHECK unwanted extra software

NOTE:  Adobe Reader DC software should be installed even if you do not normally open / view / print PDF files directly from the Adobe Reader DC software.

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One Printer series 

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks Dragon-Fur. I didn't mention this, perhaps I ought to have done, the printer has not printed labels properly since we got it in May 2015, brand new. I have been hand-writing mail merge envelopes/labels ever since. Its predecessor was ten years old when we replaced it and it printed my Christmas card address labels every year, addresses fitting perfectly on each label, for ten years. Old adage "why change it if it ain't broke".

It has been looked after and cleaned regularly. It is a home printer and therefore not had excessively heavy use.

Many thanks for your help; I think a new printer is in the offing!

HP Recommended

@treehuggr99 

You are welcome.

You are correct in that I was making assumptions that, at some point, you could print labels using this printer.

Most of what I said is moot when the printer has never been able to provide the expected results.

The printer is still older - "old" is just not the reason the printer is not doing what you want of it.

I would have expected the (8610) printer to print at least some standard Avery Labels...

Background...

I did have an excellent Officejet Pro 8630 (big brother to your 8610) that would print anything (well, pretty much).  I donated it a couple of years ago, still in excellent working condition.  Nice printer.

After that I had an Officejet Pro 8740 that was even better.  (I loved that printer - it was a loaner and I had to donate it after the loan period expired.) 

Now I have an Officejet Pro 9025.  It is also really nice - Not sure it rivals that 8740 in every way, but the 9025 does provide two-sided single pass scanning on documents.  Love that.  It also does pretty much anything else I ask of it.  I have mixed up the tray settings a couple of times and ended up with a photo printed on an envelope.  That gave me the idea for custom envelopes so the experience turned out to be useful.  Smiling.

I am NOT crowing that I have had awesome printers - I am merely saying that I would have been disappointed had the printers not been able to do what they ought.

I am sorry the 8610 has been a disappointment - and yes, I agree that at this point, it is time to replace the printer since it doesn't do what you need (and never did so).

Stay Safe.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.