Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6968

I have a new HP OfficeJet Pro 6968 Inkjet printer.  I make my own greeting cards and have been doing test runs on regular plain paper and also the greeting card paper, which is thicker.

When I test print on plain paper in grayscale, everything is perfect.  When I switch to the thicker paper and use "best" full color quality, the margins are off and the photos I use for the fronts of the cards aren't centered.  This is happening even though I  switch my settings to "thick" paper, both on my comuter and on the printer touchscreen.

There's no manual feed on the back of this machine, from what I can see, so I have to use the paper tray.  I have already wasted so much ink and expensive greeting card paper trying to get this right.  I'm about to box this thing up and send it back, but I love the print quality and want to give it one last chance before returning it.

Has anyone else run into this issue and is there a fix for it?  Is there some other setting I need to change to make it print correctly?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@atruslow

The answer is Maybe - and Maybe Not.

The printer Specifications indicate the printer supports Card paper made from Index stock (a type of paper made to specific ISO standards).  The "card" paper weight must fall within the maximum weight limitations: 

163 to 200 g/m2 (90 to 110 lb index)

Tray
Type
Weight
Capacity
Input tray
Paper
60 to 105 g/m2 (16 to 28 lb bond)
Up to 225 sheets of plain paper
Photo paper
200 to 280 g/m2 (60 to 75 lb bond)
Up to 60 sheets
Envelopes
75 to 90 g/m2 (20 to 24 lb bond envelope)
Up to 10 envelopes
Cards
163 to 200 g/m2 (90 to 110 lb index)
Up to 60 cards

The "problem", if there is one, is that not all "card" paper is made from Index stock.  If the paper is made from "Cover" stock, for example, the card paper would be much heavier than the "lighter" Index stock that is supported.

I am not trying to confuse the issue - the whole "what is paper" can become a complicated, convoluted, quagmire.  Easily defined in the world of ISO Paper, the subject not always clear when dealing with unknown paper types (like card paper purchased from a greeting card manufacturer, for example).

If your card paper is within the weight class supported by the printer, then the cards have a better chance of printing as expected.  Paper that is not supported may fail outright (likely), result in odd margins, feed issues, and / or other oddities.

If your card paper has the consistency and surface (on which the content is printed) of an Index stock paper, then the cards have a better chance of printing as expected.  The "surface" on a "card paper" is not likely an issue, though the printing surface does play a role in the printed result.  The exception to this:  Photo Paper must be designated correctly (glossy / matte).

Consider / Try

Set the Media type to Index and at a size in the supported paper list for that Media (kind of paper).

Select the Source = Tray 1 (or similar)

Set the Quality to Normal (not Best)

If your card paper is not of a size in the standard list, create a Custom Paper Size form, using one of the existing Index card templates as a "starting" form.  Custom paper choices (after the form is created) should show up in your list of Paper Sizes.

NOTE:   I have read reports of this not being the case, depending on the software used to create the content and print the card.  I do not have a fix for "cannot see the custom form" issues.

Creating Custom Paper Sizes

Basics...

IF Custom paper Size form is supported on your printer, create your form.

Method is dependent on printer software and printer model.

Example 1

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers >

Left-Click on your Printer one time to highlight >

Left-Click Print Server Properties (along the top ribbon)

OR

Example 2 

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers >

Right-Click on your Printer > If necessary, select printer from drop down menu / list

Printing Preferences > tab Paper/Quality > Custom

General Example (Print Server Properties method)  

Custom_Form_Index_Card_9x12Custom_Form_Index_Card_9x12

Dragon Document – Collection of Help, suggestions, and examples:

Printing Labels_Business-Cards_Cards

Print Labels, Business Cards, Cards, Booklet

Topics / Subjects, various, including:

• Preparation
  • Labels, Cards, and Business Cards
    • Office Word
    • HP Photo Creations and Avery Templates
    • Avery Design and Print (through Windows 10) and Mac
      • Print from PDF feature
    • Avery Wizard for Word (through Windows 😎
  • Printing and Printing Preferences – Notes
  • Print Booklet
    • Foxit Reader - Booklet
    • Adobe Reader - Booklet
  • Additional Help (Documents and Notes)

Reference and Resources – Places to find help and learn about your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

HP OfficeJet Pro 6968 All-in-One Printer

Final Words:

Forgive the extra verbiage (wordiness).  Experience has shown that a common reaction is "I tried that, That does not work.  That is wrong.  Eat worms."  The truth is that mid-range printers, even Officejet document printers, do not all work the same.  The higher end (more expensive) printers tend to support more types of paper, and provide more robust features.  I am offering what I know based on my experience and there are no guarantees any of the information is the magic you seek.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you, Dragon Fur - you have given me quite a few things to consider!!!  I won't throw in the towel yet - I really do like the printer and would like to figure out what I need to do to make it work for me.  I'm not in the market yet for a premium printer, so I will have to adjust to work with one on this level for a while.  I didn't think the paper weight would be an issue - it's much lighter/less stiff than 110 lb cardstock (yet the weight isn't listed on the package!), but you've given me something to think about regarding the surface of the paper, as well as several other things...

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

@atruslow

You are welcome.

Likely the printer can do the job.

If you select the Media (kind of paper) type "Index" (or cardstock if it is on the list), the printer will set the rollers "just a bit" more open to accomodate the thicker paper.  This may be enough to allow the text and other content to print in the proper (expected) location on the paper.  Margins are set in the software you are using to create the card / submit the job to the printer.  The exception is printing from PDF - margins are "preset" in the originating software (like Word) and PDF has its own ideas on margins (not likely something you could change).

If you like, take a look at the examples in the Dragon document.  I know there are examples for using Word and the Avery software (I have used this software extensively), and there are examples having chosen the PDF option in the Avery software.  In general, the PDF options will be similar (same?) regardless of whether you are printing from the Avery > PDF software or whether you open a PDF document and print from your Adobe Reader DC software.

Let me know if you have questions.

Good Luck.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.