Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8610
Microsoft Windows 11

Keep getting "Missing or Failed Printhead".  I followed step provided with shutting off system, waiting, removing printhead, and replacing the same printhead only to have same message.  Decided to purchase new Printhead, cost significant.  I followed the steps again only to receive the same message of "Missing or Failed Printhead.  Checked again and again to make sure following the correct steps to remove and replace printhead.  Still get same message.  What should be done?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Livvie1

Welcome to the HP support community.

I understand that you are getting printhead errors, I am glad to assist you.

Did you update the printer firmware?

If not, here are the steps:- Click here

if you have tried all the steps mentioned in this HP document:- Click here

And if the issue still persists, you might have to perform a semi-full reset on the printer to fix this issue.

The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may brick the device.  

I am sending you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Livvie1

Welcome to the HP support community.

I understand that you are getting printhead errors, I am glad to assist you.

Did you update the printer firmware?

If not, here are the steps:- Click here

if you have tried all the steps mentioned in this HP document:- Click here

And if the issue still persists, you might have to perform a semi-full reset on the printer to fix this issue.

The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may brick the device.  

I am sending you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello @Livvie.  I have the same printer you have and the same "printhead failed" issue and I would rather replace the printhead than throw an otherwise perfectly good printer into the landfill (Not to mention that I still have a full set of print cartridges ($$$) that I also don't want to throw away.  I'm curious to know which of the recommended solutions worked for you?

Thanks - TLynch44

HP Recommended

Hello, I tried to fix the prinhead that I had with using a YouTube video. That didn't work. I purchase a new printhead on Amazon for about $160.  It didn't work either.  I ended up purchasing a different printer from Best Buy and with my discount that I had I spent about a $170.  No I don't want to throw away my perfectly good printer that has ink in it yet. I still have it.  Most likely I will recycle it at Best Buy. Wish I could give you a better answer.  Let me know if you figure something out. You can have more ink!

HP Recommended

Thanks for responding, Livvie.  I ordered a new OEM printhead.  We'll see if it resolves my issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.