Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 6500 All-in-One Printer series - E709
macOS 10.12 Sierra

I see that High Sierra is NOT in your pulldown menu...should that worry me?

Since upgrading to High Sierra OS 10.13, my HP 6500 (that I have had for years) refused to acknowledge ANY of the four ink cartridges. When this message appeared, I thought it was bc at least one of hte cartidges was exhausted, though I had not gotten an error message like this before. I replaced ALL the cartridges, to no effect. 

I have searched this forum for RECENT posts with this problem, but have not found a definitieve answer, yet. I have to think I am NOT the only Mac user this this problem.

Will HP PLEASE provide a clear, effective solution to this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

When I try to clean the printhead, HP Utility says it can't detect any cartridges.

The machine scans with no problems.

When I try to copy, the display gives me an ink alert and refuses to copy.

When I complete the power down, restart procedure you provided, the machine WILL now copy. Tried it twice successfully.

Reattached the USB cable.

Reset the printer, per your instructions.

It is now printing with no issues!

Thank you very much. I have spent hours trying to troubleshoot this over the past month. This is the only thing that has worked. I would never have figured this out myself, I'm sure.

Can you tell me why this procedure works? Just curious.

I still have one issue, however.

The HP Utility app still claims it can't detect cartridges when I try to print a quality test page, clean the printhead, or get a report etc.

Does this mean I need to reinstall the utility. I have version 5.37.1 How would I do that?

BobD1953

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @BobD1953,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you are having issues with the OfficeJet printer won't recognize the ink cartridges. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I"ll need a few more details:

Have you tried to clean the ink cartridges?

Are you able to make a copy from the printer?

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now try making a copy on the printer and let me know if that works. Place a document face down on the scanner glass and press the copy option on the printer control panel. Let me know if it makes a good copy or not.

If the copy comes out fine, then try resetting the printing system to completely resolve the issue:

Click the Apple menu icon, and then click “System Preferences”.

Click “Printers and Scanner” / “Print and Scan” or “Print and Fax”.

Right-click the blank space in the Printers list, and then click “Reset printing system”.

Click “Reset” in the confirmation window.

Enter an administrator username and password, and then click “OK”.

Wait until the printing system is reset and no devices show in the Printers list

Restart your computer and then go back to System preferences – Printers and scanners.

Click the “Add button” (+).

Find, and then select the name of your printer from the printer list, and then click “Add” to add your printer.

Click “Print Using...” or “Use”, and then select Secure AirPrint or AirPrint. Alternatively, you may select the name of your printer if available in that list.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

When I try to clean the printhead, HP Utility says it can't detect any cartridges.

The machine scans with no problems.

When I try to copy, the display gives me an ink alert and refuses to copy.

When I complete the power down, restart procedure you provided, the machine WILL now copy. Tried it twice successfully.

Reattached the USB cable.

Reset the printer, per your instructions.

It is now printing with no issues!

Thank you very much. I have spent hours trying to troubleshoot this over the past month. This is the only thing that has worked. I would never have figured this out myself, I'm sure.

Can you tell me why this procedure works? Just curious.

I still have one issue, however.

The HP Utility app still claims it can't detect cartridges when I try to print a quality test page, clean the printhead, or get a report etc.

Does this mean I need to reinstall the utility. I have version 5.37.1 How would I do that?

BobD1953

HP Recommended

Hi @BobD1953,

Thank you for replying,

I'm glad I could contribute towards resolving the issue and finding the solution you were looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution.

In the meantime, you wanted to know more about Reset printing system: 

Resetting the printing system removes all printers and scanners from the printers queue and clears all print jobs and print settings from the system, including printers and scanners that are not from HP. Resetting the printing system can be useful for troubleshooting printing problems, but you need to add all of your printers and scanners back to the list when you are finished. Resetting the printing system reset might resolve certain issues such as:

• Print jobs that are stuck in the queue

• An incomplete print driver installation

• Communication issues between the printer and the Mac

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.
I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.
And mark my post as Accepted Solution to help others find a similar solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.