Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5546
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

I have restarted both the Mac and the printer and it still doesn't work.  I plugged the cable in between the printer and the Mac incase there was a Wifi issue and that has not made any difference.

I deleted the printer and when I tried to re-add it I got this message "An error occurred while trying to add the selected device.  Unable to communicate with the printer at this time".

I don't seem to have the option to completely reset the printers on my Mac as I don't have any listed (see above).

What else can I try?

Many thanks

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@EVA14, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand you are not able to print wirelessly from your Mac. Let us try these steps:

On the printer screen, go to Setup > Network Setup > Restore network settings

Go back to Network > Wireless > Wireless setup wizard and select your network.

• Make sure the printer and the Mac are connected to the same wireless network. Either 2.4 or 5GHz network.
  • If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to download and install the latest printer firmware from your Mac.

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Also, check for any software updates on Mac

Click the Apple icon > About This Mac > Software Update and install any available update.

Perform a ping test to check the connectivity

1. Obtain the IP address of the printer by clicking on the Wireless icon on the printer
  2. Open a new Terminal window (it's located in Applications > Utilities, or you can just start typing it in Spotlight).
  3. Enter “ping” followed by the IP address of the printer. 
  4. Press Return. Press ctrl C after 10 pings
  5. There should be 0% packet loss, share the results in your next post.

Use the AirPrint option and check if that helps to print as shown in this document - Printing with Apple AirPrint (Mac)

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Many thanks for your response Kumar.

I have done the first step:

On the printer screen, go to Setup > Network Setup > Restore network settings

Go back to Network > Wireless > Wireless setup wizard and select your network.

• Make sure the printer and the Mac are connected to the same wireless network.

When I went to do the second step and tried to use the HP Firmware Updater, in Device Discovery it timed out.

Please can you advise what to try next?

Very many thanks

Eva

HP Recommended

@EVA14

You may try updating the firmware from the printer control panel and check if that helps. A document has been attached in my previous post which will assist you on this.

Also, perform the PING test and let me know the results.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar

I have checked my printer and can confirm that the software is up to date.

I have the IP address for the printer but cannot find the place to do the ping test on my Mac, please can you advise?

Many thanks

Eva

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar 

I found the command and space bar combination to open spotlight.  When I entered ping and the IP address is opened a new google window, is that what is supposed to happen?

I then opened Applications \ Utilities \ Terminal and entered the same into the code box and it didn't recognise it.

Please help!  I am sorry I am not very good with technology!

Many thanks

Eva

HP Recommended

@EVA14

You are on the right path: Applications \ Utilities \ Terminal

Once you are in the Terminal window, you have to type the word “ping” followed by the IP address of the printer and hit Return key on the keyboard.

Press ctrl C after 10 pings.

Check the result. If it is 0% loss or 100%loss.

Let me know how it goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your swift reply Kumar.  When I enter ping followed by the IP address it says "command not found" is that supposed to happen? 

HP Recommended

@EVA14

Type the word in capitals PING IP address

I assume the printer and the Mac are connected to the same wireless network.

Install the printer using the AirPrint driver. 

1.) Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners. 

2.) Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer. 

3.) If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button at the bottom of the list. 

4.) Click the plus sign click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name. 

5.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, select AirPrint in the pop-up menu. Then click Add. 

Note: Select "Bonjour multifunction" under kind while installing.

Try printing.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Kumar, I tried PING and got the same command not found response.  Please see text below

Last login: Wed May  5 10:17:58 on ttys000

The default interactive shell is now zsh.

To update your account to use zsh, please run `chsh -s /bin/zsh`.

For more details, please visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050.

Evas-MacBook-Air:~ evamccloskey$ ping192.168.1.102

-bash: ping192.168.1.102: command not found

Evas-MacBook-Air:~ evamccloskey$ PING192.168.1.102

-bash: PING192.168.1.102: command not found

Evas-MacBook-Air:~ evamccloskey$ 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.