Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
All in One 8620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Suddenly my printer prints only random gibberish -- docs, pictures and test pages, all gibberish. I recently installed a new router but it has the same SSID and password. Nonetheless, I reset the printer and re-entered the credentials. I disconnected the power to both my computer and printer and turned back on. The printer appears on my wifi device list app -- it does not indicate off-line on that app on on my computer. I tried troubleshooting with no result. I tried to install new drivers, but they would not install. The other computer in the house also has the same printing result. I am pretty sure this is a network issue but I can't solve it. Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Delsie Greetings from the HP Community!

I have a few steps to help resolve the issue:

Step 1: Cancel the print job

Cancel the print job before performing a printer reset.

1. In Windows, search for and open Control Panel.

2. Under Hardware and Sound, click View devices and printers.

3. Double-click the printer icon, and then double-click See What's Printing.

The print queue opens.

4. Click the print job you want to cancel, and then click Document.

5. Click Cancel, and then click Yes to confirm the selection.

note:

If the lights on the printer continue to blink after you cancel the print job, the computer is still sending the job to the printer. Either delete the job from the print queue or wait until the computer finishes sending information. The printer returns to its ready state.

Continue to the next step.

Step 2: Reset the printer

Resetting the printer can often resolve printing issues.

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer.

2. Unplug the power cord from the power source.

3. Wait 60 seconds.

4. Reconnect the power cord to a wall outlet and to the printer.

note:

HP recommends plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

Try to print. If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE & SKIP TO STEP 3 ONWARD

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for answering. I have tried every one of these things -- more than once. I also spent 2 hours on the phone with my ISP trying all kinds of resets, etc. Nothing has worked. I really like this printer but I suppose I'll have to find a new one. All devices on my WiFi network are working as expected except for the printer. I have spent probably six hours trying to solve this. I am wasting my life in a fruitless pursuit.

By the way, I've had at least six HP printers at home and countless ones at work -- I've never encountered this behavior before.

HP Recommended

@Delsie I understand this could be frustrating, however, we are here to help and will do out best to get you through this situation, ASAP!

That said, I need to know if you can print fine using the copier as a stand-alone device? Or when you print from alternate applications?

In the mean time please try the below steps:

Press "Windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window.

Type "services.msc" to get Services - Go to "Print spooler" - Right-click and "Stop" the service.

Now again open "Run" - Type "spool" and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.

Go to services again - Start the print spooler.

Now check for issue resolution.

If the issue persists, unplug the USB cable from the printer (if present). 

Go to Control panel - Programs and feature - Select all the HP printer entries and uninstall them.

Now go to Control panel - Devices and printer - Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.

Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

Again, go to the Run window, type - "c:/programdata" - Go to the Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

Restart your computer.

Then, use this link to access the HP website, find the drivers compatible with your windows and install it: click here

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.