Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP DeskJet 3755
macOS 10.14 Mojave

I had a paper jam had to pull it out through the front.  I did that and it would not print again.  Got the message "searching for printer" and also "printer is not connected" (altho it was).  I turned it off and on, finally found the instructions for paper jams which suggested hitting a certain little symbol and then hitting the red X, and did that and always got the same messages.  I went into Printers in "system preferences" and made sure that it was still there and was the default printer.  My old printer was still listed and I can't delete it but the new one was listed as the "default".  So finally I decided to delete the new computer and then start over.  So my problem is that I got to the "add a printer" stage and I can't type the name in - it's a "dead" box is all I can call it.  So I decided to unplug and replug it and when I did that, I think the printer finally made an effort to repair itself which I had read about when this first started so I waited till it quit doing what it was doing and then pressed the red "X" and it settled down.  Went back to try again to add the printer and got the same result - I can NOT type in the name of the printer where I'm supposed to be able to.  I had a really hard time setting up this printer in the first place and now it's giving me trouble again.  I love the small size of the printer and would like to get it back into action rather than get a different one.  

I'm not what you'd call computer literate although if you give me instruction item by item, I can follow it. 🙂  I really need to have a useable printer and will appreciate any help...

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@marylynsim, Welcome to HP Support Community!

To be able to assist you better, I would like to know the following:

• How is the printer connected, USB/Wireless?
  • If wireless, is the printer and PC connected to the same network?
  • Is your router dual-band enabled i.e., both 2.4GHz and 5GHz?
  • What is the distance between the router and the printer?
  • Is there any antivirus software installed on your computer?
  • Could you perform a ping test using the Mac Network Utility and let me know the results?

Use the printer IP address to perform a ping test, the printer IP can be located by selecting the wireless icon on the printer display.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.