Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi GrannySAnn

Please provide the following information so I can assist you better.

What operating system are you using?
Here is a document to check your operating system for Windows.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/which-operating-system
Here is a document to check your operating system for Mac.
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03204293

Please provide the full name and product number of your printer.
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03770424

How is the printer connected? (USB/ethernet/wireless)

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Are you certain, beyond doubt, that the cartridge was new... no possibility of a mix-up - it's easily done? The friend I was helping swore it was new and the local computer repair shop condemned the printer, but a bit of detective work, including the traditional magnifying glass, proved it was used and empty. A new cartridge straight out of the packet solved the problem. Maybe you are due a replacement from HP or your supplier if you used a cartridge straight out of the package.

Computer error reports are very often misleading. My friend thought the alignment error was due to her putting the cartridge in squint.:smileyfrustrated:

HP Recommended
Since I took the HP cartridge out of the HP packaging as soon as I bought it, yes, I'm pretty sure it's new.
HP Recommended
Hi Gemini,

Thank you for trying to help. To answer your questions:

1). I am using. PC running Windows 7 pro.

2). My printer is an HP Photosmart 7515.

3). The connection is wireless (internet provider: Comcast)

Any suggestions?
HP Recommended

Hi GrannySAn

I understand the printer message is stating the ink is out and it's not a  Genuine HP Cartridge installed. Thanks for providing the information requested.

Are you using Genuine HP Cartridges? (check the label and number on the cartridge)
Check the date on the cartridges to make sure they are still in warranty. (not old stock)

I have included a document explaining the error.

This document provides troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue.

How to check the vents on the cartridge, cleaning the contacts.

This document provide steps in manually cleaning the printhead.

Try and print a diagnostic report.

From the control panel home screen, touch the Settings icon.

Touch Tools , and then touch Print Quality Report . The product prints a test page.
You can scan and screen shot the report page and include it in the post please.

If you need more assistance just let me know and please provide the results.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
Again, yes, it is a GENUINE HP cartridge. Brand new in GENUINE HP packaging. The expiration date is next year...2014.

My printer is an HP 7515.

Thank you for the link. I'll check it out. If it doesn't work I'm going to treat myself to a new printer. For the past 25 years I've owned only HP printers, both for my business and home. Maybe it's time to try a Canon or Brother? I can't believe an HP printer can't even recognize its own cartridges. 😞

I even replaced all 4 colors...again... with (brand new) GENUINE HP cartridges and it didn't recognize a one of them, either. Eventually it recognized them BUT then had the nerve to tell me these new HP cartridges that had only been in the printer 15 minutes were now low on ink and it was time to change cartridges! Why?

Thank you to those of you who read my post and offered to help. I'm so disappointed. I saw on You Tube where someone suggested soaking the cartridges in water to rejuvenate them. Many responses said it worked like a charm. I guess I'll try that.
HP Recommended
What can I do when my hp photosmart 7520 all in one won't print the black inks. Ran all the tools functions put new cartridges in hp ones by the way. Everything works fine but when I run realign cartridge says failed to realign ?????something about default set. What do I do. Have this same printer in two places the other one works fine
HP Recommended

This is probably HP's way of forcing you to buy "Genuine HP ink cartridges" and prevent you from using one cartridge in more than one printer. Well, the joke's on them in my case. Apparently the chip on the cartridge knows when it's been installed before and removed but too stupid to realize the printer it's being put into is the SAME ONE it was removed from previously! I started to install the new black cartridge only to realize almost immediately that the printer was telling me that the photo cartridge was the one that was empty. Funny though, the newer one that I immediately took back out and just tried to install again is an XL. Maybe they only sabotage the reinstallation of the XL cartridges.

HP Recommended

I have an Officejet 4500 wireless all-in-one and the print quality changed recently. It is only a couple years old and never did this before. I replaced the ink cartidges correctly and have attempted to align them MULTIPLE times wothout success.. I have also cleaned the cartridges. It will not copy at all now-the page is blank. But it will print a colored test page. No black ink is printing-it is green. HELP! So frustrated and need to speak to a HUMAN BEING!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.