Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4512 All in One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I have done just about every troubleshooting I can think of for this, but in Win10 printer properties I never get the option of color or black to select like other solutions to this issue have shown. I've reinstalled the HP drivers and am using HP Smart. Everything I print via Word or Google docs or Adobe Reader has color selected, but when printed comes out grayscaled. Any idea how this happened? I've used the HP Scan Doctor and it says it is is fine. When I called support they wanted $20 to fix the issue cause my warranty is expired. Even though I pay them $5-10 a month for instant ink. I have a feeling the solution is something simple like a setting somewhere. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@ogmac 

====================================================================

Welcome to the HP Community.

Be Aware:

Do not respond to individuals who include phone numbers or email addresses in public posts.

Do not respond to individuals who ask you to provide private information in a public Post.

These people might be scammers trying to steal your information / money.

====================================================================

For those reading - related troubleshooting here:

Assuming the printer diagnostics show that the printer can actually print in color,

the following might be helpful to straighten out any driver issues.

Note that you want to use the particular doctor suited to this kind of problem...

--  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  -- --

Resource – Choose the right doctor for the job

Open Website

HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows

Click the orange Download Now option / box

Wait!

If the problem / issue is one of

• Cannot print in Color
  • Duplex printing has disappeared

THEN

Select / Answer question “Is print offline?” = YES

Answering Yes selects the “right doctor” version for these issues.

NOTES – The “Offline” doctor

As a result of repairing issues,

Offline / Color check / Duplex check version of the Doctor may replace the printer or add a “(Copy 1)” version of the driver in Devices and Printers.

Open Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers

Right-Click on the printer name > Printer Properties > Tab General >

In the top box, Edit the name of the printer (For example, remove “Copy 1”)

Click Apply / OK to save change

NOTE:  The name change may take a bit of time (a few minutes), else Restart the computer and log in.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Verify results.  If necessary, set the newly added / renamed printer as the default.

A secondary “Scan” printer may be added, that is, the “Do not Delete” driver / printer.  As it says, do not delete the entry.

==============================================================================

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP ENVY 4512 All-in-One Printer 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.