Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Dell Inspiron 3670
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a DeskJet 5150..All of a sudden, the power went out on it. No lights (including power light) or any sounds. I have tried unplugging it and changing to another direct outlet.   

I know that it is an old unit, but it has always been reliable. I would PREFER to not have to purchase a new one, as it has been serving me well, plus my available personal funds are very tight due to the pandemic. No heavy usage... just an occasional letter, document or photo. 

Any recommendations?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Johnny_Dee,

I'd like to help!

Try the below suggestions -

Step 1: Reset the power module and test the wall outlet

Unplug the printer to reset the internal power module, plug another appliance into the wall outlet to test the power, and then reconnect the printer.

1. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

2. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet, power strip, or surge protector.

3. While the printer is unplugged, plug another appliance into the wall outlet, and then turn it on to make sure the outlet works.

• If the wall outlet does not work, plug the printer into an outlet that does work. Do not use a power strip or surge protector.

• If the wall outlet works, continue with these steps.

4. After the printer has been disconnected for at least 60 seconds, reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

5. Plug the power cord directly into the wall outlet. Do not use a power strip or surge protector.

6. Check the rear of the printer and the ink cartridge access area to see if the internal power module has an indicator light.

• If the internal power module has a light, the light is on, and the printer turns on, you can stop troubleshooting.

• If the internal power module has a light and the light is on, but the printer still does not turn on, continue to the next step.

• If the internal power module has a light and the light is off, skip to the step to Test the power with another compatible power cord.

• If the internal power module does not have a light, continue to the next step.

Internal power module indicator light on the rear of the printer:

7. Screw

8. Indicator light

9. Internal power module indicator light in the ink cartridge access area:

10. Indicator light

11. Example of  an internal  power module without an indicator light

Internal power module without an indicator light:

Step 2: Test the printer Power button

Plug the printer into a working wall outlet, and then test the Power button on the printer.

1. Make sure the power cord is connected to the rear of the printer and is plugged directly into a wall outlet.

2. Press and release the Power button to start a Power On/Off cycle. Do not hold the button down.

NOTE: 

If you press and hold the Power button too long, the printer might turn on and then off without restarting. If this happens, press and quickly release the Power button again.

3. If the printer does not turn on, wait 10 seconds, and then press the Power button again.

You may refer to document -Printer Does Not Turn On

If the issue persists, I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your printer

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.