Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
ASUS laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The printer won't print cyan anymore, regardless of what device sends the request to print. We have tried on several laptops and phones. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling on my main laptop. However, when trying to reinstall the application, it said another application was in the process of installing and it couldn't do the install. There is also a firmware update that needs to be updated as well. Things I've tried:

1. Cleaning print heads

2. Align Printhead

3. Clean Smear

4. Hard reset of printer (removed cartridges, unplug, wait 3 minutes, plug in an print test page) - no cyan printed

5. Photocopied something blue - printed pure magenta

6. Removed orange nubs on print cartridge
7. Completely replaced cyan cartridge (also removed orange nubs on that one)

8. Uninstalled program from laptop

9. Reinstall program on my laptop- not successful

10. When it wouldn't reinstall, I followed directions through the virtual assistant to do all kinds of things, including rebooting routers, computer, and printer. There was also something done through the C prompt with unregister and register. The "register" part didn't work.

11. After following all directions to reboot and reinstall, my laptop still said that another program was running to install the printer.

My question...if it's not printing the cyan regardless of which device sends the print job (ie. phone, other laptops), which cartridge I replace it with, or how many troubleshooting attempts I do, does this mean the printer itself is shot?  Or could it be some glitch in the inability to update the firmware through my computer? Trying to avoid more hours of troubleshooting (not that I have much left that can be done) when it won't even install the basic driver at this point.  Help!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I have the same problem - and done all the same troubleshooting

HP Recommended

@HJML, @Patcb450 Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Apologies for the inconvenience. There was an issue with the new lot of HP 902 Cyan and Yellow ink cartridges and they were recalled. If the Cartridge was manufactured in Malaysia and the Warranty End Date is between April 1st, 2022 and September 18th, 2022, please do not use this ink cartridge.

Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the replacement options for the ink cartridge or to check its availability. 

You may create a case on the website to obtain a case number if required. Kindly watch this video to know how.

Also, check if the printer/ink cartridges are eligible for a replacement. Refer to -  'Incompatible' or 'Defective Cartridge' message

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I just ordered 2 902 yellow ink cartridges, they were delivered on Dec 2, 2020 dated  2022/10/20 and they were manufactured in Malaysia. 

Are these safe to use, if not is HP going to send me 2 yellow 902 ink cartridges that actually work to make me whole?

HP Recommended

ONE for the cartridges falls in those dates, but the other is later, 2022/10/02, and it doesn’t work either. I tried to reach out to HP Technical support, but it said my printer is out of warranty and only gave me the option of a virtual agent or back to this community. I also tried to follow the link to set up a ticket, but it said I was unregistered. When I tried to register, it said my user name was already in use. What do I do now? 

HP Recommended

@HJML, @DavidHPet

Did you try using this link to check if the ink cartridges or the printer is eligible for a replacement?

If this dint work, I have sent you a private message with additional information required. Kindly check the same, this might help you to resolve this issue. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have checked the cartridge dates and they do not fall in with the defective cartridges. What do I try next?

HP Recommended

@Patcb450

Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the service/replacement options. 

You may create a case on the website to obtain a case number if required. Kindly watch this video to know how.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.