Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8710
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Thank you in advance for your support.

The OfficeJet Pro 8710 stopped working. I tried to connect via Bluetooth and hardwired withthe same result: IF (big IF) I can get it recognized by the OS, if I sent a simple file to print it returns a message that "a handle is missing" and nothing prints.

I tried with two computers and the same thing happens.

I updated the driver and used the Print Doctor with no rsults.

My next step would be to get rid of it and buy a new one. Any other suggestion?

Your help is appreciated.

JC

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This issue got finally resolved after I had to reinstall Windows 10 due to a different problem. No idea what was causing the problem, but happy to have it out of the way. Thanks to those that helped me analyze it and =solve it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Juanca01 

The handle error MIGHT be a container error and an indication that the printer software is not fully installed.

If you can use it, do connect the printer with Ethernet - regardless of the recent problems, Ethernet generally provides a stable and "less worrisome" connection method.

If the issue appears to be one of permission-only, that is, the failure to install displays itself without the long, drawn out, delays and failure in the "device setup" process, simply try installing the software package using Administrator privileges.

Remove / Uninstall the printer software from Programs and Features

Restart the computer and log in

Download and save the installation package to your Downloads folder

Open File Explorer and navigate to your Downloads folder

Right-Click on the downloaded executable package, select run as Administrator and install

After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in

and / or

If you cannot get the software to get past the "device setup" phase where it connects the software and the device on your network, consider installing using Compatibility mode to bypass any weird Windows 10 related installation problems.

Printer Software cannot install – Compatibility Mode

The Hoped-for result:  Installation file opens, extracts, and magically, quick-as-a-rabbit, installs the software.

Preparation

Completely uninstall the printer software

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features

Restart the computer and log in.

Check Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers –

If you see the printer, Right-Click on it and Uninstall / Remove device

Open Control Panel > icon view > Device Manager 

View > Devices by type

Expand the Printers section

If you see the printer, Right-Click on it and Uninstall / Remove

If you remove the device from Devices and Printers or the Device Manager,

Download and Save the Full Feature Software to your computer.

Do not "run" the installation yet...

Method - "Troubleshooting method" - Set Compatibility

Hover over the Windows Start pane on your Taskbar > Right-Click and select Search

In the search bar, type:  run programs

Click on Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

Start the Troubleshooter...

Select "Not listed"

Browse to the downloaded folder / file and select the executable file in the Troubleshooter

For example:  OJ8710_Full_WebPack_40.12.1161.exe

Follow prompts - for example, select to have the troubleshooter implement "fixes".

In this case, the "fix" suggested is to run the program in "Compatibility mode for Windows 7"

Click "Test the program" (still in the Troubleshooter)

Click Cancel in the Troubleshooter to close it.

OR

Method – Manual – Set Compatibility

Download and Save the Full Feature Software to your computer

Navigate to your Downloads folder and open the folder so you can view the contents

Right-Click on the downloaded installation file > Properties > Compatibility 

Check "Run this program in compatibility mode for"

Select Windows 7

Click Apply and OK to close the Properties menu

Right-Click on the program and select to Run as Administrator

After the software installs, Restart the computer and log in.

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 All-in-One Printer series

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Dragon-Fur,

Thank you for the help.

I tried the solutions you suggested with no luck, the printer continues to refuse to work and the error message is the same: "The handle is invalid."

Any other suggestion is welcome.

Best regrads,

JC

HP Recommended

@Juanca01 

Might be a file system error, though this is entirely speculation.  The error seems "out of context" for this type of issue.

Create a new local account with Administrative privileges.

Try to manage the data using the new account.

and / or

You could try fixing the file system.  This will at least eliminate a possible source of the problem.

Microsoft:  Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

Windows 10

DISM and sfc

Start cmd with admin

Windows key + X + (then) A  (admin cmd prompt)

Run the DISM software first: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Log File:  C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Next

Run the sfc software: sfc /scannow

Log File: C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

If I think of anything else, I will post back.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

This issue got finally resolved after I had to reinstall Windows 10 due to a different problem. No idea what was causing the problem, but happy to have it out of the way. Thanks to those that helped me analyze it and =solve it.

HP Recommended

@Juanca01 

You are welcome.

Thanks for posting back.  It makes sense that it was a File System issue after all.   I am sorry that DISM and sfc were not enough to dig out and resolve the problem.

Happy Printing.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.