Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8715
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a HP OfficeJet Pro 8715. The printing and copying are great. When I scan there is usually a tone that the printer does that lets you know it is done and then it shows up on the computer screen. It used to take seconds and now it is taking so long to happen, if it even happens at all. If it does work it takes 5 or more minutes for it to finish and if I have more then one page it won't do it at all.

I have the HP Smart loaded. I usually get an error that says "A problem with the scanner has been detected, Restart the printer and try again." I have tried that as well as all of the following:

• I've  removed the printer completely from my computer, including drivers and re added the printer.
  • I have downloaded and ran the HP Smart and Add your Printer software. after completely removing the printer.
  • I have turned it off, unplugged it from the wall and reconnected it.
  • I have restarted my computer.
  • I have downloaded HP Print and Scan Doctor and ran it.
  • I have reset the settings of the computer network to factory and re connected it to the network.

Not one of these things has helped or fixed the problem.

I am praying someone can help me. Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@NGarber, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Assuming that the printer is connected wireless, follow the steps below-

Assign manual IP to the printer

The steps on how to set a manual IP address can be found here.

For the DNS servers please use 8.8.8.8 for the Manual Preferred DNS Server and 8.8.4.4 for the Alternate DNS server. These are Google’s public DNS servers

Install or update HP Scan

Make sure you have the latest version of the printer software, and then make sure your printer is connected to your computer with a USB cable or on a local network.

1. Go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads.

2. Type your printer model, and then click Download next to the full feature driver under Driver-Product Installation Software.

Click Download next to the full feature driver

3. Follow the guided setup instructions to connect the printer.

4. After the software installs, search Windows for HP, and then select your printer to open the HP Printer Assistant.

5. Try scanning.

Also, refer to the document HP Printers - How to Scan (Windows) for alternate scanning methods.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you. I did what you told me and it worked great, for about 5 scans and now it's doing the same thing as it was before. I tried to go into the IP Address and reset it again, but I'm not able to even do that now. Is there a way to get into the IP Address?

Thank you again for helping me.

Nichele

HP Recommended

@NGarber

Try adding a TCP/IP port.

1. Print a Network Configuration Report from the Printer Settings or Wireless menu.
  2. Right-click your printer, select Printer Properties, click the Ports tab and then click Add Port.
  3. Select Standard TCP/IP Port, and then click New Port.
  4. Follow the instructions to add a new port using the information listed on the Network Configuration Report.
  5. Try scanning

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.