Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8720
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I'm trying to print my wedding program by using my newly bought HP OfficeJet Pro 8270 e-All-in-One color printer. I was able to print about 20 pages of cardstock paper which I brought from Michael's (http://www.michaels.com/celebrate-it-occasions-program-paper-kit-ivory/10387595.html) Then the printer stop picking up any cardstock paper and keep saying paper jam. 

I've been trying all method that I can find from internet (put only 3-4 cardstock paper, clean up the rubber roller, etc.) None of these common methods will make the print to load this cardstock paper. I'm an IT technitian and this is just not something new to me. This printer just won't pick up any cardstock paper(regular paper works fine). When pulling out the tray1, I can see the cardstock paper got lift up half inch and stays there, not even roll up to the rail.

This is very frustrate since I need all my 200 wedding programs to print out before the end of this month, sitting in front of printer and try to troubleshoot this problem for hours. 

I've been google this for a while and seems that's a common problem that HP never solve in so many generations/models of printers. THIS IS AN DESIGN FAIL!

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi, do you have the latest firmware installed on the 8720?

What is the weight of the cardstock?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

I updated the printer's firmware to the latest when I set it up.

Firmware version: WMP1CN1624BR    

For the weight of the cardstock, I currently don't have it now. 

Will post the weight later. 

HP Recommended

So I found a "solution" that will temporary help me to make the cardstock paper load/pickup by the printer.

I have to lift up the front side of the print when I hear it's trying to load the cardstock, this way the gravity helps the cardstock to drop/pull itself into the roller's direction. 

I know this is stupid, but that's the only way I can "help" to make it print. So for 150 cardstock prints, I have to lift up the printer 150 times. What a good exercise! 

Also, if this printer has manual paper feed loader it will be a lot easier to solve this problem, but it doesn't!!!

DO NOT BUY THIS OfficeJet Pro 8720 All-in-One printer if you need to print cardstock paper or you need manual feed paper load.

HP Recommended

We were experiencing the same problem, but I found that placing only a small amount of paper (10-20 sheets)  in the tray allowed the card stock to be picked up and printed without jamming the printer. Notice that there are images printed inside the paper tray that seem to indicate maximum limits for the type of paper that will be loaded in the tray.

HP Recommended

I bought two rubber doorstops to put under the front of the printer and have run ~200 pages of cardstock with no issues.  Without raising the front, cardstock just wouldn't feed. I did not do anything else, I did not clean rollers, mess with the feed tray, nothing - just the door stops to lift the front of the printer about 3/4". Hope this helps anybody else having troubles.

HP Recommended

Bull. Cannot print to cardstock. Period. Hundreds have posted same thing for years.  No help from HP. 

HP Recommended

Hello@edwardpjackman

Welcome to the HP Forums!!

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

I see that OfficeJet Pro 8720 does not pick up cardstock paper.

I'll be more than glad to help you out.

I recommend you try the steps from the link below and check if that fixes the issue: Click here 

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again.

Cheers, have a nice day.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Regards,
Sizzlingsum_13
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same issue. It would print on thick paper.

HP Recommended

First, I don't appreciate the obsequious behavior of HP support and employees, constantly thanking me for explaining the problems I have with their products. Obsequious = passive agressive condescension. But I digress.

The HP Officejet Pro 8720 does NOT pick up cardstock. This is our third Officejet -- we had no problem with cardstock in previous two. In fact, it's the SAME cardstock -- and I still have one of the 5+year old printers and it still prints to cardstock. Have I explained the problem correctly? Thank you so much for understanding.

I'm NOT going to stick a $5 door jam in my printer. I'm NOT going to spend hundreds of dollars trying to find cardstock that this particular printer might like better. I'm not going to jump through hoops for hours and hours with your insufferably slow and ultimately pointless support -- chatting for 2 hours to end with no resolution -- phone calls that end with being cut off after 20 minutes on hold.

Here's an idea. Get some cardstock and try to print to an 8720. When that fails, maybe fix the problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.