Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Dell XPS
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Visited about 20 other threads here on the Support Page:

Deleting all HP driver software and using the base windows drivers is NOT a solution. When you are subscribed to InstantInk it needs the software to determine when to send new ink. That's how I get my ink, so let's move beyond "using windows drivers only".

Facts:

1. I can print a test page in color.

2. I cannot, whether using the system printer dialog, or program-specific dialog, print in color.

3. There is no option buried deep within the printer settings that has a "greyscale/color" option. I can see it in the troubleshooting screenshots, but it's not there. (Not the only one with this issue).

4. The Print Dr. sees zero issues with my printer or drivers.

5. When I completely remove all traces of the printer and software(laptop: clean windows install and desktop-same results) I can print the first document I try in color. When I print the second page just mere seconds later, refer to step #2 above.

6. The "HP Smart" software under advanced settings, I can change it from Monochrome to Color, but when I hit "OK" it pops up an error saying there are conflicting settings that will not allow for color printing and the setting has been reset to monochrome.

I had zero issues for 5 years with my Brother color printer, I only switched to HP for the simplicity of the Instant Ink program.

What I'm saying with that previous comment is that this seems to be an HP software issue, not a "windows" or driver issue and it has not ever happened before I installed this printer.

What is the fix because uninstalling and re-installing drivers and software each time I need to print color is not an option?

I am now 8 months into HP instant ink payments and I've gotten ink exactly 1 time. It would have been more BUT I CAN'T PRINT IN COLOR!!!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Shoot, I'm having the exact same problem with the same printer and Windows. I run a business that requires me to be able to print high quality images. Everytime I get done with a project in Microsoft Publisher, I go to print. I always check the printer settings before hand, to make sure it's set to the best quality. When I click printer settings, I get some error message pop up saying something about a fault error or something and won't let me into the advanced settings. If I go to system settings, select printers & scanners, then click the printer and try to change the quality in the systems printer settings, I get the same error. I've tried a million different things and cannot get past this problem. I've been trying to use my phone to print via the cloud but I can't change the quality. I even downloaded the hp app to my phone, still can't. But AT LEAST I can print color from my phone. 

This is ridiculous, I was told by an IT guy that this is the result of HP not keeping up with Windows updates. Kinda ridiculous considering how much they gotta be raking in from all of us paying them every flippin month even though we can't use up our colored ink. It reeks of a scam tbh. I was just about to try the getting rid of the hp drivers till I saw your post. Didn't think about the instant ink thing. HP needs to get their act together!

HP Recommended

Hey, so I found this article that said to set up the printer via IP address. The steps were a little different than the one in the photo but essentially are the same. 

1. Search bar>Printers and Scanners>Remove HP3830 from your list.

2. Follow steps 3-7 on the included screen shot.

3. For me, when I clicked Next, a box popped up saying that' HP Print Drivers are already installed. Do you want to use this driver?' (or something like that) and it had a drop down box. I believe 'Use this driver' is selected as default. Change it to 'Replace the driver' then click next. It should then say something about installing the new driver or whatever, then once it's done installing, it SHOULD work. I'm actually able to access the printer preferences and adjust my quality on both the settings menu as well as in Microsoft Publisher. I've printed off several color, high quality, prints so far with no problem. I'm still able to adjust the settings without a problem. I haven't yet reset my laptop to see if it will still work, so I can't say as far as that goes, but if the same thing stopping me from printing in color is what's stopping you, this SHOULD fix this. Hope it helps!

HP Recommended

Screenshot_20211013-211029.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.