Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hey all, I went to go print out some forms that I needed to get filled in at the hospital today, and when I printed the form out half of it was fine and the other half was printed properly except for giant black bars above and on top of a bunch of the text... Since then everything I have tried to print has turned out this way, and the printer keeps on telling me that the ink cartridge I have in there is not installed correctly. I clean a little ink off the head of the cartridge and then the printer is okay accepting it again, until the middle of the next attempted print job when it will again tell me it's not installed correctly after printing the large black bars... This is an official HP XL cartidge, I have not changed ANY settings on the printer or changed any print settings when selecting what to print. Any idea what is going wrong here? If I seriously have to buy another XL cartridge I'll be really be considering buying a new printer because it would be cheaper than having to re-purchase cartridges all the time.

Any help would be seriously appreciated, I really needed to print off these forms tonight.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Nic_man, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand the print quality is not satisfactory. Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Clean the ink cartridges up to 2 times and print a quality report as shown in this document - Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues

Try making a standalone copy in black and color to check if that prints fine. By this, we can conclude if this is a hardware or a driver issue and which of the ink cartridge is defective.

If the issue persists, please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the replacement options for your printer/ink cartridge. 

You may create a case on the website to obtain a case number if required. Kindly watch this video to know how.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.