Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Officejet printer 4655 always prints black and white. Direct scans print in colour. Have printerd from PC and two different laptops, both print black and white when printing a colour picture. I have found others with the same problem. I have reinstalled drivers and downloaded the latest drivers to NO avail.

Can anybody help!!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi! @Doogee, Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I understand you have issues printing in color from your printer.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Have you tried printing from a different application? Does the issue persist?

Are you able to make a color copy from your printer?

Please try few steps recommended below.

Clean the ink cartridges

Use an automatic tool to clean the ink cartridges from the printer control panel, then evaluate the results.
   NOTE:
To avoid issues that require cleaning, always turn the printer off with the Power button.
Make sure to load the input tray with plain, white paper.
On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, then touch Setup.
Touch Tools, then touch Clean Cartridges.

Examine the print quality on the Print Quality Diagnostic report.
If the print quality is acceptable, click No. You can stop troubleshooting.
If the print quality is unacceptable, click Yes when prompted to perform the next level of cleaning.
   NOTE:
If the printhead is badly clogged, it might require another cleaning cycle. If so, wait 30 minutes before you perform both levels of cleaning again.

If the issue still persists try the steps recommended below.

Uninstall the printer software from root level and install the latest full feature software for your printer.

In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.

Select your HP printer.

Select Uninstall.

In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.

In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”

Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.

Type printui.exe /s and click OK.

Click on Drivers tab.

Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click remove at the bottom.

Select OK.

Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.

Close Devices and Printers.

Update the full feature printer software using this link.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot print quality issues with your printer.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi! @Doogee, Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I understand you have issues printing in color from your printer.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Have you tried printing from a different application? Does the issue persist?

Are you able to make a color copy from your printer?

Please try few steps recommended below.

Clean the ink cartridges

Use an automatic tool to clean the ink cartridges from the printer control panel, then evaluate the results.
   NOTE:
To avoid issues that require cleaning, always turn the printer off with the Power button.
Make sure to load the input tray with plain, white paper.
On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, then touch Setup.
Touch Tools, then touch Clean Cartridges.

Examine the print quality on the Print Quality Diagnostic report.
If the print quality is acceptable, click No. You can stop troubleshooting.
If the print quality is unacceptable, click Yes when prompted to perform the next level of cleaning.
   NOTE:
If the printhead is badly clogged, it might require another cleaning cycle. If so, wait 30 minutes before you perform both levels of cleaning again.

If the issue still persists try the steps recommended below.

Uninstall the printer software from root level and install the latest full feature software for your printer.

In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.

Select your HP printer.

Select Uninstall.

In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.

In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”

Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.

Type printui.exe /s and click OK.

Click on Drivers tab.

Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click remove at the bottom.

Select OK.

Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.

Close Devices and Printers.

Update the full feature printer software using this link.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot print quality issues with your printer.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

After removing and replacing with newest driver and cleaning print heads, installing an older driver worked!??!! 

HP Recommended

Hi! @Doogee, Thanks for your prompt response and time.

I am happy to hear that your issue got resolved.

If you have any queries in future related to any HP products, you can always reach out to us.

We will try our best to help you out.

Take care,

Have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  Prints color from copy function, android tablet and phone, hp laptop with Vista, but not new hp laptop with  Windows 10 and Dell desktop with Win 10  (which was unloaded and reinstalled).  Full HP driver downloaded and reinstalled after win 10 reload wuth no affect.  Reinstall of Win 10 and HP Software done by highly rated service tec. 

Win 10 units printed color for a couple of days and then failed again.   Other sources continue to print color just fine.

What previous version works, and where do I get it?  Are there any security issues if I use a previous version? 

Quite frustrated and getting ready to jettison HP printer and Instant Ink.  Is HP goint to solve this soon?

Appreciate your interest and assistance.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  Prints color from copy function, android tablet and phone, hp laptop with Vista, but not new hp laptop with  Windows 10 and Dell desktop with Win 10  (which was unloaded and reinstalled).  Full HP driver downloaded multiple times.. 

Win 10 units printed color for a couple of days and then failed again.   Other sources continue to print color just fine.

What previous version works, and where do I get it?  Are there any security issues if I use a previous

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.