cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
PlanetRambler
Level 1
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Officejet 6700 Black wont print

HP Recommended
OfficeJet 6700 Premium
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I bought this printer from a neighbor to use for school. They said it hasn't  been used in some time and there were empty CM&Y cartridges in it. But the carriage moved and the display worked, so they almost gave it to me knowing I'm a student on a budget. I dl'ed the driver from HP, the wifi seemed to work so I got Scan to work fine.

When I rec'd a $50 combo pack of 10 cartridges from Amazon, the CM&Y units popped in fine but none of the 4 black cartridges seated correctly, as if the spring were broken (it isn't), so the cartridge doesn't pop in and out with a gentle push. I tried every which way of jiggling them, restarting, etc. but the display would show only missing ink/cant proceed errors. The contacts look shiny.

So I drove to Target and got an HP black cartridge to see if that made a difference. It seated only slightly better but I finessed it so it stayed in place and it kicked into 10 minutes of whirring, until finally I was able to try a test print.

Supply levels show all inks full, although it calls out non HP in CM&Y cassettes. I didn't realize that might be a problem but those colors print so I don't think buying HP CM&Y inks is the solution. 

I did all utility, sample, diagnostic, alignment and test printouts from the device display and the HP utility app but no black ink prints, no text so nothing to diagnose and the color is washed out. 

I searched this forum, found only one real thing to try - "For a dried ink problem, run Clean Printheads over next 2 days, maybe new ink will dissolve old. If not, new printer"

Helpful suggestions appreciated

1 REPLY 1
TEJ1602
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
18,719 18,696 1,536 1,511
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@PlanetRambler, Welcome to HP Support Community!

If you have already performed the steps from the document Color or Black Ink is Not Printing and the issue persists, it could be a hardware failure.

Please reach out to HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation