cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
KMGGMK
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Officejet 8720 - Cartridge cannot be used until printer is enrolled in HP instant ink

HP Recommended
Officejet 8720
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Earlier today, I noticed that the screen on the front of my Officejet 8720 was flashing white like a strobe light.  This is the second time this has happened in about a two month period.  Outside of these two incidents, the printer had been working quite reliably for over a year with my Windows 10 64-bit computer.

I pushed the power button on the front of the machine - expecting the printer to turn off as it had the first time this "strobe light" problem occurred.  Instead, after about a minute or two, the screen turned blue and displayed the error "B8A58A50".  I'm unable to find any information on this error.

I then unplugged the printer and plugged it back in.  When the printer restarted, it gave me a couple of set up options - one of which was to set it up in an IT environment (or something like that).  Unfortunately, I don't remember the wording, but I chose what I felt was the "regular" set up option.

At this point, the printer displayed the "Cartridge cannot be used until printer is enrolled in HP instant ink" screen.  This printer currently IS enrolled in instant ink and the subscription is active.  Unfortunately, I can't get the printer to connect to the computer, let alone the Internet, to have it verify the subscription and there does not appear to be any way to move beyond this screen. 

I tried connecting the printer to the computer via USB, but that didn't resolve anything. 

I've uninstalled the printer software on my computer, but I can't reinstall it because the computer can't connect to the printer.  Each time I restart the printer, the instant ink screen comes up with no obvious means to interact with the printer in any way - other than turning it off again using the power button.

I would really appreciate some assistance with this issue as I've completely run out of ideas.

5 REPLIES 5
jabzi
Level 13
Level 13
6,405 6,379 513 1,110
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hello,

Try the below steps.
1. Remove the ink cartridges from the printer while it is on.
2. While the printer is on unplug the power cord from back of the printer.
3. Power off the wireless router or disconnect the network cable from back of the printer.
4. Wait for 30 seconds
5. Now plug in the power cord to the printer. If printer does not power on automatically then press the On button to do so.
6. If there error (blue light with error) still shows up then it's time to get the printer serviced. USA 1-800-474-6836
7. If the error about instant ink cartridges shows up you might have to call HP Instant Ink support for further assistance 1-855-785-2777
Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Beryl_Wang
Level 1
Level 1
11 11 0 3
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

You are getting "need to enroll" massge because your instank ink subscription was de-activated somehow. Are you able to remove and enabled the web services and register to Instank Ink again?

Say "Thanks" by clicking the blue Kudos star in the post that helped you.
KMGKMG
2 2 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm KMGGMK, the OP of this thread.  Somehow, I ended up with another account for this forum and I'm having a bit of difficulty accessing the other account (KMGGMK).

Thank you both very much for your help in dealing with the issue I've been having with my printer.

After spending quite some time yesterday and today on the phone with HP Tech Support and Instant Ink - and having them remotely access my computer twice - the problem is finally resolved. 

Unfortunately, once tech support was able to get my printer back online, I was still completely locked out of the printer and the Instant Ink service until I went to the store today and purchased some non-Instant Ink cartridges to "unlock" my printer.  At that point, I was able to re-enroll the printer in Instant Ink, completely reinstall the printer software and get everything running again.

It seems that the printer lost my Instant Ink information and couldn't acquire a new "hpeprint" e-mail address.  That was the reason I couldn't use the Instant Ink cartridges I had and why even the techs from Instant Ink couldn't finish setting up the printer or clear the error.  

Now I'm just hoping that HP will compensate me for the ink cartridges I was forced to buy.  They will let me know next week and hopefully, it will be good news!  

Thanks again for the assistance!

0 Kudos
Flower_Bud
Retired
Retired
5,216 5,204 271 391
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@KMGKMG

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

KMGKMG
2 2 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you!  I appreciate your assistance with this!

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation