cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    HP Solution Center Adobe Flash player error

Please check this document to find the workaround solution for Print and Scan - HP Solution Center doesn't open

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    HP Solution Center Adobe Flash player error

Please check this document to find the workaround solution for Print and Scan - HP Solution Center doesn't open

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
1 0 0 1
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Officejet 8720 driver, duplex and MS Word

HP Recommended
Officejet 8725
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Just installed my new Officejet 8725 and found a very troublesome driver bug. (Keep in mind I followed all installation procedures to the letter.)

Problem summary: when printing from MS Word, and selecting either of the two available binding types for two-sided printing, the printer prints single-sided every time. Any document...tried numerous. Duplex does not work.

However, the same printer prints duplex just fine from Adobe Acobat (a PDF document), Chrome (any web page) and even from my iPhone using airprint. 

Thinking it was likely a conflict between the new driver and MS Word, I installed a second version of the printer, this time using the old Officejet 6800 series driver. Duplex works just FINE from MS Word using this driver. 

I tried to explain this to a support rep over chat, and tried to encourage him to log a ticket or escalate this to engineering but my request fell on deaf ears...twice, with different reps.

So, if anyone from HP engineering is on this forum, it may be worth checking the 8720 series driver for Mac OS X El Capitan and it's comptability with MS Word. 

It's not an elegant soluion have two separate "printers" on my system, one that will work with MS Word and one for all other apps. I'm technical enough that I didn't return my printer to Costco...not sure how many others would just give and return it.

If anyone has any other ideas, or potential solutions, let me know.

1 REPLY 1
1 1 0 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HI, I just spent a very frustrating evening trying to get my Mac to print duplex on the HP 8720 from Microsoft Word. As other have posted in otehr threads, printing duplex works from other programs like Firefox, Exvel, PDFs and Preview. Just stubbornly Word. After giving up in frustration and resorting to saving Word documents as PDFs and printing them diuble-sided, my wife had a go and found that if you go Settings / Printers and Scanners / Open Print Queue / Settings / Options and tick the check box saying 'Optional Paper Input Tray', then Word can print double-sided. Whether this is a mis-labelled box that should say duplex option  fitted, or the driver is incorrect in Word, I don't know, but at least this may help somebody else sufferening from this issue.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation