Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 6830
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Yesterday evening I printed about 80 pages of mostly black text; the first 60 in black only photocopier mode, the last 20 in best mode, black-only from MS Word.

During the last few pages of the MS Word printing, the printing carriage speed slowed and the audible tones the printer emits whilst printing progressively become lower in frequency (i.e. printing sounds were progressively lower in tone or musical pitch with each page).

I cancelled the printing with a few sheets to go and then came back later in the evening to finish - and it printed normally with normal sounds.

This morning, black printing has completely failed with no error messages. I have an Instant Ink account so have tried replacing the black cartridge, multiple cleans and deep cleans, PC driver software download and reinstall - no change.

Colour prints pretty well, but black has completely failed. My printer is about 3.5 years old and apart from yesterday's sessions gets used quite lightly.

Any suggestions of comments appreciated

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@LJ-Walton,

Welcome to HP Support Community,

Follow these steps to print a Print Quality Diagnostic report.

1. Load plain white paper into the tray.

2. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to scroll to Setup, and then touch the Setup icon . The Setup menu displays.

3. Swipe the display to scroll to Reports, and then touch Reports.

4. Touch Print Quality Report. The printer prints the report.

Evaluate the report for any defects. 

• If there are defects found, try the steps mentioned in this document

As these are to do with Instant ink cartridges,  I would need to know few details regarding your instant ink account to help you get this issue sorted.

Since the instant ink account details are confidential, please send me the required information via private message.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.