Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

We've been months without our printer and ended up buying a new Epson Photo Printer.

The Officejet Pro 7740 is 18 months old and will no longer print any print jobs. The printer will print test pages, alignment, and other setup pages with no problem.

When clicking print, the screen on my printer will show "Printing" with a circle spinning around the word printing. This will show on the screen for hours until I click cancel. <picture attached below>. 

1. This is the third time this has happened in 18 months and I am not sure what fixes the problem.
  2. Test pages, printer alignment, network test pages all print perfectly fine, so I know the printer works and is on the network.
  3. We are printing from a Macbook laptop, iMac desktop, Windows Surface Pro, and Windows 10 desktop. The same problem happens with all types of computers and "DIRECT" printing.
  4. The problem occurs on Wi-Fi and hardwired ethernet.
  5. Unplugged the printer and power cord numerous times. The printer is plugged directly into the wall and tried different outlets.
  6. Factory reset the printer numerous times.
  7. Connected the printer to a guest network, 2.4 GHz network, 5.0 GHz network, and hardwired to a switch.
  8.  Added the printer with Secure Airprint, Airprint, HP Directjet.
  9.  Autoselected drivers and also manually chose the HP 7740 drivers.
  10. Firmware is up to date.
  11. All cartridges are installed and have been reinstalled.

I am not looking for someone to congratulate me on my troubleshooting skills or ask me to perform any of the steps that I've performed above. I've searched for many days all over the internet and on the HP forums. No one has provided a solution to this problem other than recommending all of the steps that I've performed above.

IMG_6119 2.jpg

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

IMG_6119 2.jpg

HP Recommended

@FrustratedInBos

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

Please uninstall the printer driver from root level and download the Full Feature Software

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
2.) Select your HP Printer 
3.) Select Uninstall 
4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
6.) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.
7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
8.) Click on the “Drivers” tab 
9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
10.) Select Ok 
11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
12.) Close Devices and Printers
13.) Restart the computer and download the Full Feature Software from Here and follow the onscreen Instructions

Keep me posted

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

@KrazyToad

The full-featured software has been installed on both the Windows and Mac systems. This did not change anything. The same behavior happens from both operating systems.

HP Recommended

@FrustratedInBos

If issue persists on both OS and you have already tried Reset and updating the Firmware, I suggest you contact HP Support in your region for Service Options

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ 
2) Select your product type below.
3) Enter the serial of your device. 
4) Select the country from the drop-down. 
5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 
6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

@KrazyToad, my post clearly indicates that firmware has been updated. 

I’m not entire sure why these are considered troubleshooting forums if the same handful of suggestions are offered to everyone. No real troubleshooting is ever done. 

Wouldn’t it be easier to just list off the 10 steps to try and then tell an individual to call support if they don’t work?

HP Recommended

@FrustratedInBos

I understand your concerns. The reason is because not every issue gets fixed by a particular step. If there are 10 steps for example certain issues might get fixed on the 1st step certain might get fixed by the 6th step. Since this is a public forum where customers might have similar issues but different model product or same model similar issues it won't be practical to list out all 10 steps. 😊

Unfortunately in your case this issue is a Hardware problem with the printer

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have had the same exact problem and feel very frustrated. Followed the restart, tried on different computers and different connections. I guess it's a defective printer hardware......been stuck all summer.

HP Recommended

HP support, I have the same exact issue...my whole time owning this printer has had such frustrations, including printing the correct printer type, etc. Faulty product. Extremely disappointed and frustrated with the energy I've had to put into this.

HP Recommended

@Frustrated291, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Try making a standalone copy and check if that works. By this, we can conclude if this is a hardware or a driver issue.

Also, check for any jams inside the printer and make sure the printer carriage moves freely. Refer to this document - 'Paper Jam' Error

If you have tried a hard reset and the issue persists, please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the service options for your printer. 

You may create a case on the website to obtain a case number if required. Kindly watch this video to know how.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.