Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8025e All-in-One Printer
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

I just bought a OfficeJet Pro 8025e.  I have two Mini Macs.  A 2012, 2018 and a new MacBook Air.  I can print black and white only on the 2012 Mac.  Why do I need to use the HP Smart app to be able to download drivers and print in color? The HP Smart app won't work on my 2012 Mac.  Is there a way to get the printer to print color on my 2012 without the smart app?  My 2012 is still an important computer for me and  works great!  if I knew this would be an issue I probably would not have bought the printer.  Any help would be appreciated.    Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Phil1989,

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I'd like to help!

I understand you are unable to print in color from your mac.

To assist better-

1) Does the copy print out the same way? 

2) What's the application you are trying to print from? Have you tried printing from a different application or device? 

While you respond to that, let's print a Print Quality Diagnostic page -Post the Print Quality Diagnostic page here so we can help you further. 

You may also refer to this document with steps to fix the " Print Quality Issues" issue applicable to your printer -  Print Quality Issues

Try updating mac and printer firmware

To update the printer's firmware, refer - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

To update your Mac, try these steps - How to update the software on your Mac

You may also add the AirPrint printer to the Mac printer queue

Add the Air Print printer to the Mac printer queue

Confirm you are using Air Print by adding the printer in System Preferences.

1. Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.
  2. Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, and then do one of the following steps.
    • If your printer is listed, remove and re-add the printer to confirm it is set up for Air Print. Click the printer name, click the minus sign "-" to delete the printer, click the plus sign "+"click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name and then continue to the next step.
    • If your printer is not listed, click the plus sign, click Add Printer or Scanner, click the name of your printer, and then continue to the next step.
  3. Confirm Air Print or Secure Air Print displays in the Use or Print Using menu, and then click Add.
  4. Open a document or photo, click File, and then select color and click on print

Let me know how this goes

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

1) Does the copy print out the same way? 

2) What's the application you are trying to print from? Have you tried printing from a different application or device? 

I am trying to print from Word but also pictures from Preview and color from things on the internet using Safari.  In the Word test document that I did today I typed different lines in black letters, red and blue and they all printed in black.

I updated the HP drivers and software as shown in the instructions and link in your reply.  The update was successful.

After the update I printed out a picture and it was still black and white.  I printed out the WP test page I created with different color letters and it still came out black and white.  (see attached)   I looked for an settings page for the printer for color choices but couldn't find one.  What's next?

HP Recommended

Have you tried adding the printer with airprint?

Let me know!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.