Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8600 Plus
Microsoft Windows Vista

My Officejet Pro 8600 Plus has developed a strange issue. Whenever I set several pages to print in a row (be it copies of a single page, or a multi-page document) after about 5 pages the printing starts to creep to the left, running any margins I had set, or sometimes completely cutting off information. After running several test prints it looks to start after the 5th page and slowly gets worse the longer it prints. This happens on any size paper I put into the printer.

I don't know what causes this - it happens when printing, or scanning from the top-loading feeder - and we are using genuine HP ink cartridges. Help!

Things I have tried already to fix this issue:

Aligning the print heads several times

Opened up the printer as much as I can without unscrewing anything and checked for paper in the way

I have taken out and reinstalled the ink cartridges

Turned on and off the printer- unplugging it from the wall etc

Cleaned the area where the ink slides back and forth

Took the entire printhead out, cleaned it carefully, and reinstalled it

I'm hoping someone else has had this issue and can advise me on how to fix it!

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@CaitlinT, Welcome to the HP Support Community! I’m here to help.

I understand the alignment while printing changes after 5 pages. I appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve this issue by performing the necessary troubleshooting steps.

The last resort would be to perform a semi-full reset on the printer.

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Hope this helps! Let me know how it goes. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.