cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
Surfer2065
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Older Generation Genuine hp cartridges don't work

HP Recommended
HP7720
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have two hp printers, a HP7720 and a HP8210. Both use the came cartridge, hp955XL or hp955. I have only ever used genuine hp cartridges and when I needed to replace some of them today, bought at the same time as the printers, all new cartridges both give a message that they are older Generation Cartridges and only work in older printers.

2 REPLIES 2
SB_Houston
1 1 0 0
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I experienced the same issue with my 7740 today.  Always have used genuine HP ink.  Ink is dated 2019, so not ancient, and they have worked flawlessly until i needed to replace.  Appears a software update by HP is now preventing use of my fully functional printer and genuine HP ink.

0 Kudos
Surfer2065
Author
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

From what I have gleaned, if you change ink cartridges our before they are empty, and use them in another compatible hp printer, the printer tags the cartridge, as either older and  incompatible with newer printers of the same model, or it labels them as empty when they are not. Swapping cartridges between printers is the problem.  

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation